Tuesday, April 17, 2018

It Don't Come Easy. You Know It Don't Come Easy.

It continues to snow here in Iowa.

I started this post a week ago, but never got a chance to finish it until today:

It's weird being in my 50's now. I was always too young and too immature, compared to most people I hung around with, and now I'm too old, but still too immature. I don't know how it is for other people my age, but for me, there's good and bad about being older, but mostly good.

This weekend I had a couple of older person experiences that really made me glad that I'm in my 50's. I just remember being in my 20's and 30's and wondering why I screwed everything up and why I did all kinds of things I didn't really even want to do. I feel like I wasted so much time and energy on stupid crap that I just refuse to do now.

So, here are a couple of examples of how wonderful it is to be 52:

On Saturday John and I went to swim laps and then sat in the steam room for a bit. There were two dude-bro type guys talking about their wild Friday night:

First Dude: Yeah, man. I literally just woke up at four this afternoon.

Second Dude: Whoa. Really? That's crazy.

First Dude: I just couldn't deal with the day after last night.

Second Dude: Remember that one guy I came with? He couldn't remember how to get home and he walked all the way to Kinnick. He didn't get home until 6:30 in the morning.

Me (in my head, but not voiced): Oh, yeah? Well, some Friday nights, when I'm reading a particularly good book, I can stay up until almost eleven pm!

I can't tell you how happy I am that I don't go to parties until the wee hours of the morning anymore, and most importantly, that I have a filter and didn't voice my above comment. Whew!

This is how we party at our house now.

Last Sunday John and I decided to go out to lunch. Of course, I hadn't looked at my self in the mirror all day and was almost ready to go, when I decided that maybe I should. Holy shit! I'm sure if I had gone out like that, people would say, "Wow. How did the crazy lady who lives in the attic in 'Jane Eyre' get out for lunch?" So, I washed my face, pulled my gigantic and frizzy looking hair back and THEN I was finally ready.

I love being so old that I don't think too much about what I look like. When I was younger I used to stress out about it. I'm also glad that I'm not so old that I forget altogether to take a look and then take two whole seconds to fix things before I go out and embarrass John or my girls or whomever else I'm with.

No comments: