Thursday, April 26, 2018

If I Could Offer You One Tip For the Future, Sunscreen Would be It


Well, last Sunday was Earth Day, and what a good day it was.


If you've met me at all, you know I'm a huge spaz. When it starts to get nice out, I get even spazzier. I go crazy with all the wonderful stuff I can finally do after a long Winter. John calls it my "Hurray for Everything!" mood and he is right on the money.

Since this was the first weekend it not only hadn't snowed in the last month or so, but got really warm out, I was going nuts trying to do every damn outdoorsy thing I could imagine.

On Sunday morning I worked in the garden. I planted the cool weather stuff like onions, beets, lettuce, arugula, spinach and a few flowers. Just in case you're wondering, when your neighbors walk by you while you're working in your garden and say, "I admire your optimism", they're being snotty because they think you are planting stuff too early and that it will all die of frost (and yes, this has happened to me a few times now) . What I want to say back to them is, "I admire your bitchiness", because I do admire people's bitchiness. But what I say instead is, "I'm only planting cooler weather stuff..."

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, I got some things planted and some beds built up and it made me happy...Except for a couple of my snide neighbors.


After the garden work, we met some of our friends for a bike ride. It was our friend Peg's birthday, so we met at Big Grove. My friends all had a beer and I had a nice, refreshing, Coca-Cola before we started the ride.


The ride was lovely. I am in no kind of shape right now. This Winter that extended into the Spring was hard on my training, so I'm pretty much starting now. I'm not very strong, but it still feels so good to play bikes outside.


We decided to ride to Riverside, (the future birthplace of James T. Kirk) because it's an easy ride and a lot of us hadn't done much riding lately. Of course, when we were over halfway there, we hit a snag. They closed the road and had a section all torn-up.


No problem. We just rode or walked our bikes through the mess and got to the other side. The next issue came when we got to Riverside. We were planning on eating lunch at Murphy's but it was closed. We decided to go to Casey's to get a snack before we headed back to Hills to eat lunch there. Turns out, Casey's was full of annoying drunk guys. I'm not sure what was going on. Maybe they crawled out from underneath their rocks to get some sun?


On the way back, I got a flat. Wah. John is always so good about fixing my flat tires, and everyone else's. Sure, we could all fix our own, but it would take twice as long.


We finally made it to Hills and sat out in the beer garden to eat and drink, and most importantly, sing "Happy Birthday" to our friend Peg.

The silliest part of the day was that both John and I forgot to wear sunscreen. What?! Now that I have all of these pre-cancerous patches on my arms, I'm trying to be so careful about it. It's just that it's been so long since we've had to worry about even seeing the sun, let alone getting burnt by it, that I didn't even think of applying sunscreen. Needless to say, I got my first sunburn of the year.

All-in-all, it was a lovely Earth Day adventure in gardening and bike riding. Hurray for everything!

No comments: