Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The Telephone Poles, Trees, and Wires Fly On By.

 On Sunday I woke-up with a migraine that was bad enough that I needed to take meds. IT was the first time in 4 weeks and 1 day. I used to have to take meds for my migraines, once or twice a week, then it was twice a month or so. I'm hoping to get to a point where it's only once or twice a year. Wish me luck!

I went back to bed after taking my meds and when I woke-up again, I was still moving pretty slowly. I got some porch time with tea, my book and a fat, orange cat. The cure for anything that ails me.

Later in the afternoon, we met our friend, Burne at Millstream Brewery in the Amanas. We had heard about a new gravel time trial out there and we thought we'd check out the course.

I knew it was going to be a good day when Burne pointed out the kittens the minute we got there. They were so, so sweet.

It had poured down rain the night before (probably the reason for my migraine), so we figured the roads would be messy, but it was worth a try.

You can't really tell by this photo, but the mud was so thick, it made my fork look like it had an afro. The wheels wouldn't even move.

We spent some time picking mud off and rolling our bikes through that mud puddle to the right of the boys in the photo above. We couldn't keep going on the road, because of the mud, so we turned back around and rerode the first half of the course, back to Millstream. I couldn't get clipped in for the first part back, but I kept kicking my shoes against my bike to get rid of the mud and finally clipped in.

As we were riding, John looked at me and I was grinning like an idiot. "Have fun playing in the mud, did you?" He asked. Yes, I did.

 When we got back to Millstream, the place was packed and there were all kinds of people drinking, relaxing and listening to the polka band playing. It was a fun way to end our ride. Of course, when I was standing in line to buy a beer, a guy we know from racing cyclocross was standing behind me and started picking the dried mud off of my neck. Oops! Can't take me anywhere...


NoRegrets said...

I'm always amazed at what you can do the day you have a migraine.

Churlita said...

Well, I have to take my meds first. It usually takes a few hours, before I can do much, but after my meds start working, the pain goes away and I am just tired and weak. IF I didn't have meds, I'd be in the fetal position, sucking my thumb for 3 days.