Thursday, June 09, 2011

They Deftly Maneuver and Muscle for Rank

Okay, so. I did my first bike race last night and it was fun and interesting. Here's me with my registration form in hand, looking like I'm heading to my first day in kindergarten.

Here I am signing the legal forms saying I won't sue in the event of death or dismemberment...Or whatever else. Gulp.

I rode hard. but not quite hard enough. In bike racing, once you get dropped from the pack, it's almost impossible to catch up again. So, I need to learn not to be so cautious or conserve my energy and stay with everyone as long as possible. Got it.

I really did love it, though. It's great to be out in the middle of nowhere, flying down hills and taking note of all the roadkill (there are a lot of dead snakes on Iowa roads this Summer, by the way). I also like challenging myself and seeing how strong I am (or not) and how fast I can go. Looks like I better start training for the next one now....

10 comments:

Ananda girl said...

Yay! Next time you can apply that lesson learned. Very cool that you race. I'm glad you weren't dismembered and didn't become road-kill with the snakes. :D

AlienCG said...

Congratulations on surviving. It's far better than I would do. I would probably crash at the starting line and then go home shortly thereafter.

booda baby said...

See, you lost me at 'flying down hills.' Do you not know what BRAKES ARE FOR? (I'm allll about the brakes. And steering around road kill. And thinking that if there's a hill to fly down, then there's probably a hill to inch up, so maybe it would be better to go more slowly and stop at the nearest bar.)

Ah. Tennis.

laura b. said...

You're the cutest! I'm glad you had so much fun at your first race. When is the next one?

rel said...

Churlita,
Wow, you're amazing!
Thanks for taking me along.
rel

Junkgirl said...

Love the pic of you at registration! You do look like a cute school girl on the first day! I can't wait to see that Iowa roadkill when I come back in July. L.A. roadkill just isn't the same. Sigh.

Johnny Yen said...

Congrats! Hey-- most people don't get off their keester and do anything-- good for you for both exercising and for trying something new!

SkylersDad said...

Congrats on your first race! That is exciting, I have never been in a bike race, a lot of running races, but not biking.

silly rabbit said...

I really admire your energy! Like AlienCG, I would be lucky to start off without wrecking, let alone finish.

Tara said...

Congratulations!

I love that outfit; purple is a great color on you.