Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Long as I Remember the Rain Been Comin' Down, Clouds of Mystery Pourin' Confusion on the Ground

 

Well, kids. It's been a while. I have spent the last two weeks getting everything ready in the gardens. I was kind of an idiot and decided that I needed to create twice as much work for myself, and I rented a plot in the community gardens to grow even MORE food. We're saving money on groceries, and I know that my produce isn't being sprayed with chemicals, and that no people (other than myself) are being exploited so that I can eat, and that is all worth a LOT. 

Sadly, I am old and I will work myself into a coma if I'm not careful...Okay, I'm exaggerating just a little, but by Sunday afternoon of last weekend, I had to stop working and head straight home because I almost passed out from exhaustion or heat stroke, or old age. Take your pick.

I know I always say this, but I am a lame, lazy gardener. I plant all of this stuff. Half the time I don't even know exactly what it is, whether it's an annual or perennial, or how to take care of it. I just keep digging up more and more of my yard when I buy something pretty I'm sure I need. Of course, there's no rhyme or reason to it, and all of the weird spaces in between the garden beds became increasingly hard to mow. So, last weekend I hefted many, many, 55 pound bags of mulch around my perennial, and sunflower beds, to cover the grass and make my life easier by not having to mow these little strips of grass in between gardens. We'll see how that goes.



 If you don't live in Iowa, you may not be aware, but it is raining and raining and raining here. Every day for the last few weeks, it's been pouring down. You know the old joke, "If April showers bring May flowers, what do May flowers bring?...Pilgrims!" Well May showers still bring May flowers. I have never had so many of my Irises bloom before. It almost makes all the rain worth it...Almost.

Anyway, I hope all of your May showers bring May flowers, and your May flowers don't bring Pilgrims, because America doesn't seem to take to kindly to immigrants these days,.

No comments: