Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Kentucky Whiskey Make You Feel So fine, Open Up Your Eyes and Give Your Nose a Shine

Do you ever get in one of those moods where you just want to get out of town, even for a little bit, and see something else? Well, I am right there right now. Don't get me wrong, I love Iowa City, or I wouldn't live here, but we are right smack dab in the middle of the country, and while I like looking out at cornfields as much as the next woman, it would be very nice to see...Not-cornfields, you know?

So, to that end, and because Coadster and her boyfriend have had a rough road climbing out of their Covid experiences, we decided to take a little trip on Memorial Day weekend. We gave the kids the option of where to go, somewhere roughly eight hours away or less. We thought, Nashville, or Duluth, or maybe Kansas City, but the kids chose Louisville. It might be the Bourbon, but it's got something for everyone there besides the Bourbon. John and I have both been there twice before for bike races, but both times were in the Winter. I think it will be lovely to be there when it's warm out.

 

Coadster's goal is to visit every National Park in her lifetime. So, I reserved a Mammoth Cave tour for us. Also, I thought it would be fun to see Churchill Downs. It's been closed for Winter the other two times we were there. I got us tickets to watch the ponies race, and to check out the Kentucky Derby Museum. And, yes I am going to have my first Mint Julep ever. When in Louisville...Of course, my friend Rob says, "It's just whiskey with some mint. It's not a big deal", but I don't care. So, I'll drink whiskey with mint, possibly wear a goofy looking ladies' hat, and bet on horses with the weirdest names. What's not to get excited about?

So, in a couple of weeks, we'll take off out of here and go to a new town. We'll be smart and be careful about Covid, and we'll try to do and see new stuff. Stuff that doesn't happen anywhere near a cornfield. I can't wait.


No comments: