Tuesday, August 06, 2019

The Water is Warm, But It's Sending Me Shivers.


The day after my birthday, it was pretty much just family time earlier in the day. Our friends had some practical things to take care of. They were leaving on Friday and they had to do laundry and a few other things before they made their exit and prepared for their next adventure.


Since it was our last day in Moab, we wanted to be sure and get to Delicate Arch. Man, are we glad we did.


It was a pretty steep hike up to it. We kept commenting on how many people brought their young kids to these hikes with steep drop-offs and no kind of railing. I would have had about 15 heart attacks if they were my kids.


We knew it was one of the most popular hikes, so we headed out around 7'ish to see it. Which turned out to be a good idea. We didn't even have to wait to stand in the arch for John to take a photo of us in it.


Afterward, we decided to hang out and just take it all in. If I learned nothing from the last couple days, it was to slow it all down, so I didn't get too tired and cranky to enjoy what we were doing.


As you can see, the views were worth hanging out and taking the time to enjoy.


On the way back, we checked out the petroglyphs there. They weren't as old as the ones from Newspaper Wall, but they were still pretty cool.


We also stopped by the Garden of Eden on the way out of the park. It was another hike John missed on his first day.


After lunch, Coadster stayed back at the room to chill out, and John and I finally got a little alone time.


What did we do with it? Mountain biked, of course.


We checked out a new trail, called the Dino Flow. It was perfect for me, because it wasn't crazy scary, but it was still challenging to ride on the slick rock and even more of a challenge to go down the twisty hills while watching my brakes, because it was so sandy and I would slide all over the place, if I braked very much or very hard.


After our lovely ride, we got ready and headed to dinner with the whole, darn, gang. We went back to Moab Brewery, because you can't beat the amount of decent food you got for the money.

Since it was our last night in town, we decided to check out another hike to a waterfall fed swimming hole. This one got a little tricky. It was hard to find and the road leading up to it, was too rough for our little Honda Fit. I kept imagining huge oil leaks, every time we hit a rock. Eek!

We finally were able to find the waterfall after our friend Burne talked to some locals. It was beautiful, once we got there, but the water was so damn cold. My foot almost froze when I stuck it in it.

Both John and Burne braved it and Burne kept telling me I had to go in, since it was my idea to go there. Whatever. I still didn't do it, even after John tried to lure me into the depths of hell with him.

I'm glad we had such a lovely time in Moab. We had to get up early the next morning to try and see the sunrise over Mesa Arch and head out to our next adventure...With just us three - me, John and Coadster.

2 comments:

rel said...

Wowzer, really, sounds like a spectacular trip.

Churls said...

Thanks, Rel. It really was. I would recommend going to anyone who likes to hike.