Tuesday, April 02, 2019

I Ran Around and Talked to the Animals. Tellin' 'Em Stories of Savage Cannibals.


Well, it's Tuesday again, but it's Spring so everything seems that much better in general. Also, I might just be okay with being at work to get a rest after this weekend.

I went into the weekend with a little cold. So far it hasn't gotten too bad, just bad enough that I'll think I'm okay, but then doing even little things tucker me out.

On Saturday I wasn't strong enough to work-out, so I tried to get stuff done instead. I ran several errands, including going to Earl May for garden stuff. I did make one impulse purchase of a couple of bicycle windmills. I really love them, so I hope no one steals them out of my garden.


Getting all of that practical stuff done on Saturday meant that I could play on Sunday. I wasn't sure I'd be strong enough for our intended adventure, but I did okay.


Our intended adventure consisted of riding our bikes on gravel to our friends farm outside of Riverside Iowa for their Spring open house.

It was pretty chilly to start out on our ride, but we warmed up on those big gravel road hills. For most of the ride, the gravel was fine - not too thick and not too muddy. That was until we hit the B Road. It was straight mud. Since we couldn't pedal in it, we headed over to the corn field and walked our bikes. We could see our friends' farm over the hill, so we didn't have to walk our bikes all that far.


Check out the fork of my bike, just above the wheel. It was covered in a nice little adobe mix of mud, leaves and dried corn stalks.


Our friend's sister owns the farm, but our friend is an artist and her sister lets her house her horses there and art up the place.


I tried to help this armless mannequin see how it would feel if it did have arms and hands.


The best thing about this farm, is that they had three new baby goats that we got to feed with a bottle and hold and hug.


Wait. The best, best thing about this farm is that they try to take as many rescue animals as they can. Last Spring there was an animal hoarder in Solon that had a ton of chickens and geese and other birds, and they were able to take some of those and give them a better home. This Saturday there were a bunch of potbellied pigs they brought to Iowa from Texas, so the farm was able to house two of them. They named them Ava and Arnold Ziffel. Ava is even housebroken. How cool is that?

Those pigs are so damn sweet. I got to pet them and feed them Cheetos.


We took an album cover photo next to the barn. I'm the only one there who didn't know how to look cool. Sigh.


Before we left, one of the peacocks decided to show his stuff and fly above us. I had never seen a peacock fly before. I told my friend Seaghan that I felt like I was living in a Flannery O'Connor story with so many of them hanging out around us.


We were originally just going to hang out at the farm for a half hour or so, but there was so much to do and so many adorable animals to play with, that we didn't leave until closer to three o'clock. I said one last good-bye to Mary's good dog, Suki and we made our way home.


Since we were at the farm later than we thought we'd be, everyone else had to go home to get stuff done. Luckily for John and myself, we did all of our chores on Saturday, so we were able to head to Big Grove for an early dinner and a beer before we went home.

If you would ask me what I might consider a perfect day, I would tell you it would include bike riding with friends, playing with adorable animals, not having to cook dinner and hanging out with my best friend, John. So, basically, it would have been last Sunday.

No comments: