Monday, April 15, 2019

Duck Out For Some Hot Weather. Birds of Prey and I'm Shaking Off My Feather


My oldest daughter has a bit of a bird phobia. I guess it's called Ornithophobia. In the above photo, we are at the Washington DC zoo a couple of years ago. We went into this indoor part where there were some gorgeous pink birds allowed to roam freely. Coadster was horrified. You can see her in the above photo leaning against the pole, warily watching the bird that I wanted to get as close to as possible.

I think if that bird flew off anywhere near her, she would have run for the door.


Flash forward to this March. Coadster went to Colorado to visit a few friends. One of them lived right outside of Estes Park. They went hiking and heard there was a bird that would land on people. Her friend was so excited to see if she could get one to land on her. Coadster was trying to be a good sport and joined her by putting her arm out too, hoping the bird would know she didn't want it anywhere near her, and stay away.


It turns out that the bird came right up to her. Look at the face she's making. I'm sure she's just starting to hyperventilate right then.


Meanwhile, her friend is so sad and disappointed that the bird didn't choose her.

I'm assuming birds are like cats, in that they always know when people don't like them and they go right up to them, just to mess with them.

This will probably be the only time we get to see Coadster touching a bird. I have a feeling she's still worried about coming down with bird flu a month later.

No comments: