Tuesday, July 07, 2015

You Have to Sleep Late When You Can and All Your Bad Days Will End


I've been a bit of a bad blogger this past week. I've been insanely busy doing fun stuff and work has also been crazy, so writing opportunities have been scant.

I will try to make up for that today.


This past three day holiday weekend was wonderful for the most part. On Friday we met some friends for an early 60 mile bike ride to the Amana colonies. This area was originally settled by Germans who came to America because of religious persecution. They practiced communal living until 1932. The town is now an adorable tourist area with good German food and beer.

 We did have to ride about 14 miles of sketchy highway for part of our route, but when we got to the town, they had a great bike path. We ate lunch at a pizza place that served deliciously funky things like reuben pizzas and crabmeat ragoon pizzas. They were all really good.

On the way out of town, we stopped at Millstream brewery and had a beer and then headed to the lily pond, but with the higher water, there didn't seem to be too many lily pads there.


We had a great ride home and I headed to downtown Iowa City to meet my daughters at Jazzfest. I got to meet Stinky's boyfriend's parents and they seemed very nice. Coadster and I walked Stinky to work and then we went home and got ready for dinner. I took Coadster and John to the Northside Bistro. The food was incredible. We split a couple of appetizers and then pretty much ate off each others plates  for the entrees. It was so good.


On July 4th, we got up early to do the 5K in Cedar Rapids. I ran with the girls for the 5K and tried to help Stinky stay positive and not quit. Both of the girls did great. We had a fun run and talk together. Stinky said she doesn't know what she's going to do when she races the Bix and I'm not there to keep talking her through it. I told her she'd be just fine.

While we were running, someone was standing on the side of the road holding a sign that said, "this is a really boring parade". Nice.

There was also a woman in her 60's or 70's running by us and her husband was riding a bike on the sidewalk, following her and every couple of minutes, he would tell her how great she looked or what a good job she was doing, or what an awesome pace she was keeping. We need more men and relationships like that in the world.


John did an 8K (5miles) and was 11th in his category. He wasn't happy with his time, but like I told him, it's not like we tapered for the race or anything. John ran and then went on a 60 mile bike ride the day before the race.

The three day weekend also brought back a migraine for me. I hadn't had one for a month, and I used to get them at least once a week, so I do feel lucky. I just am hitting my saturation point in dealing with that kind of pain. By Saturday I was cranky and overly sensitive and emotional. As you can imagine, not a very fun combination. I try very hard not to take my bad mood out on John, but at one point I did have a little meltdown on him. He was understandably a little defensive, since I was just upset at stupid stuff and none of it was his fault. We talked it out and I apologized and we moved on. Sometimes we all have bad days. I also try to be as understanding when John gets grouchy and has bad days.


The rest of the day we did a 50 mile bike ride to Sutliff Bridge and back. The weather was lovely and even though my legs were a little sore, I am always happy to be riding my bike.


On Sunday, I still had a little leftover migraine, but felt better for the most part. John and I watched the Tour de France and then I went on a little 4.5 mile run. by about one o'clock, we met our friend Burne to ride mountain bikes.


The trails have been closed because of all the rain for so long, that even though we were so tired, we felt like we had to go out anyway. I was so glad we did. There is nothing better than getting out on the trails and going up and down hills in the woods. Even if I was having the worst day in the world, THAT would make it better.

I hope you all had a great weekend and there were no meltdowns involved.

No comments: