Thursday, July 09, 2015

Well, I'm going Where the Water Tastes Like Wine.


Okay, kids. Here is where it gets crazy. Tomorrow afternoon, John and I are going to Clear Lake, Iowa for a bike race for the weekend. We are staying at this old style motel across from the Surf Ballroom where Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper played right before they died. I feel like I might be catching a little cold, so I will see if I race or not. Even if I'm too sick to race, I will have a lot of fun hanging out at the beach and reading my book and watching bike races.

We'll get back on Sunday evening. We'll go to work for two days. On Monday evening, my friend Colleen is coming in from New York and my friends John and Shannon are coming from Des Moines. Originally, we thought we might have them over to hang out on the back porch, but now that it's closer and we have so much to do, I think we'll see if they want to go out to eat and have a drink and not have to worry about making food at home.

Next Tuesday after work, we'll head as far as we can get on the way to the Black Hills. On Wednesday, we'll drive to The Badlands and ride a 36 mile route around the park and then head to our cabin in the Black Hills. We'll stay there for 3 days and then go to a motel in Spear Fish for 4 days and then meet the kids on RAGBRAI for two days. It should all be lovely, but exhausting by the time we ride mountain and road bikes, hike, run and swim for a week in a half. I guess I'll find out if 50 is too old to have that much fun or not...

No comments: