Monday, October 27, 2014

And If You Hear of Something Good, Don't Hold Back, Pass It Around!


We raced Bobber's CX this weekend and it's one of my favorite races of the year. Not just because it is in our own backyard and most of our friends come by, but mostly because they offer so many categories for women. I know I complain all the time about this, but normally there are 2 categories for women. You are either a beginner or you race with fastest girls. It's maddening, especially since there are tons of different categories for men. I've had officials tell me they can't add more categories because they don't get that many women, but if there were more categories, I think more women would race AND it doesn't take much at all to shuffle an extra category in with another race (especially if not that many women are racing it). Offer us shwag or a funky medal/trophy as a prize. if we want to win money, we can put on our big girl chamois and race in the open women's. But as a 50+ slower racer, I'd be happy to have the option not to race with the hotshots in their 20's and 30's (or even a hotshot in her 50's). Anyway, I will always a race that supports more options for women. Yea Bobber's CX!


 John had a good race for the most part. He crashed on a root at the beginning and then had to make up a bunch of places he lost because of that. He was leading the race for most of it, but he said fighting so hard to catch up at the beginning, killed him on the last lap. Like he said, he never feels bad losing to the guy he lost to, because that guy is an amazing racer.

Thanks Angy Snoop for the photo.
 Since I had so many options to race, I signed up for two and brought my mountain bike. My plan was to ride my mountain bike in the master's women's race and my CX bike in the Cat 3 women's race with a nice 3 hour break in between. It was a blast to ride a mountain bike. I had never done it before and I loved it. Of course, I'm sure it slowed me down some, but I figured out of the 3 women racing the master's race, it was a pretty sure bet I'd get 2nd, so I didn't think it was a huge gamble to try the mountain bike. I was right. I did get 2nd out all the master's women and 1st in the 45+ master's category.
Thanks Angy Snoop for the photo
 What I love about these series of photos, is the ridiculous faces I'm making in pretty much every single one. Hey, at least I'm amusing when I race.

Thanks, Angy Snoop for the photo.

 So, while I was racing, I noticed that problem with my calf starting to flare up again. it was fine when I was riding, but any time I had to get off and run uphill or in the sand, it would hurt. I thought about DNF'ing at one point, but I thought I could tough it out...And I did. But I decided not to do the 2nd race. After I saw how swollen my calf was, I'm sure I made the right decision. I will spend the rest of this week, trying to stay off of my fatted calf as much as possible, in hopes of racing next weekend at Spooky CX. Wish me luck!




 After the race, we got to play with our friends. We started drinking pretty early, and probably had a little TOO much fun, but that's not really much of a problem. There really is no such thing as too much fun, is there?

All in all, I ended the day with a t-shirt I won in the participation raffle and a new frisbee I won in the raffle tickets I paid for and 1st place master's 45+ women's medal. See why I love this race so much?

No comments: