Tuesday, November 19, 2019

In the Snow White Cottages, Every Day Looks Like a Myth


Well, kids. It's the tenth anniversary of me buying my first house. The only way I was able to buy a house was because Obama had that program that gave me (a first time homeowner) an $8,000 credit, and my brother fronted me that money until the government paid up, and I got an FHA loan that allowed me to only put 3% down. So, thanks, Obama! No, really. Thanks so much.


When I first bought the house, Coadster was a senior in high school and Stinky was a sophomore. I wanted a three bedroom house and a basement and a garage and a sunny backyard. What I got was a three bedroom house, with a crawlspace, and a garage and a shady front, side, and backyard.

I got the best that I could afford, and I still feel very lucky. The Ash trees in my front yard eventually were full of disease and the city had to take them down (thank jeebus they were on the easement, so we didn't have to pay for that). So, I finally got a sunny yard, albeit in the front, but my neighbors don't seem to mind.


After Coadster left for college, We were finally able to pull up the nasty stained carpet (Coadster loves carpet and I can't stand it) left by the old owners, and sand down the hardwood floors in her old bedroom. Now, it's turned into a giant closet where we do our bike trainer work-outs, but it's nice to have a place for all of that.


About a year after I bought the house, John and I started dating. Eventually, he moved in and bought into the mortgage. He was able to put enough money down to get rid of our stupid mortgage insurance and bring our 30 year loan, to a 15 year loan. Last year, we refinanced our house to get money to get a new roof, work on the foundation issues, and make some more improvements on our cottage.

So, now we have most of the things we ever wanted in a home. I never wanted a brand new McMansion. I'm glad we have a little cottage that is a perfect size for me and John, has a front yard that we turned into a garden, that brings over all kinds of bees and butterflies and provides us with flowers, herbs, and food. It is also our sanctuary where we retire to heal from anything bad that the outside world causes, but also to celebrate all the good that the outside world causes.

Sure, I'd love a second bathroom, but if that's all we're lacking, yeah, I'd say we're pretty damn lucky. Here's to many more happy years in our cozy cottage.

2 comments:

rel said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY. And kudos for creating a satisfying home and life.

Churls said...

Thank you!