Thursday, February 28, 2019

In a Flash, It Takes Hold of My Heart


I'm pretty sure I've already said this on here (because apparently, I think I'm witty), but I do believe they should do a sequel to the 1983 blockbuster, but just change the name to "Hot Flashdance". Jennifer Beales is in her 50's now and she probably wouldn't even have to act. Instead of the final scene being her big audition, they would have the dance where she pours the water on herself. All the middle aged ladies in the audience would cheer at how much cooler she must be, and instead of meeting the guy with the Porsche and the flowers and the dog at the very end, we would be able to watch her get a full nights sleep, without having to get up to pee or fling the covers off and on herself even once. What a fairy tale ending.

So, all of this is leading to me talking about hormones (or lack thereof)...Again. The last couple of months I've been having crazy hot flashes. You think it would just make sense that when my body gets overheated, the last thing I should do is drink hot tea, but it worked so well for dealing with the crazy cold temps outside, and I love it so much. So, now I'm weaning myself off of hot herbal tea at night.

Because I'm a weirdo about reading and researching everything, I've been checking out a bunch of articles about what causes hot flashes and how to calm them down. Like everything in my life right now, they appear to be brought on by hormone fluctuations and stress. So, to minimize them, I have learned to keep a glass of ice water near me as often as possible, and then when I do get a hot flash, to drink it up and also work on breathing and calming exercises. It's really effective.

Most recently, I read an article about the benefits of sour cherry juice (no sugar added, of course). Drinking about half a cup of very cold sour cherry juice right before bed every night is said to help with hot flashes and sleeplessness. I tried it for the first time last night and it seemed to help a little. Most of these more natural cures, can be subtle and take a little time. So, we'll see in two weeks if I get the fairy tale ending to my day, of getting a full nights sleep,without waking up to pee or to fling the covers on and off myself even once...

No comments: