Friday, December 29, 2017

Back in the High Life Again


Oh, kids. It was a jolly holiday here this year. Last year we were in DC for Christmas, which was lovely, but it was nice to be home...And also less stressful.

On Saturday John and I went to see Star Wars. It was very long. There were some things I really liked about it and a few things I could have done without. Now, you can thank me for not revealing any spoilers. You're welcome.

In the evening we went to a party at our friend Burne's house. It was fun at first. I bought myself some festive, non-alcoholic things to drink. Of course, most of those drinks had high sugar contents and by the end of the evening, either from too much sugar, or a weird virus or messed-up hormones (take your pick), I felt like holy hell. I was sick to my stomach and dizzy and I had the chills. John took my temperature when we got home and he said it was low. I went straight to bed and felt okay the next morning, so who the hell knows what was going on there.


The next day was Christmas Eve and when I woke up, it was snowing. Yea! I love running in the snow. I got ready and got out in it. I ran my 3.5 mile route and was happy, happy, happy.

Nice finger in the frame, isn't it?

When I got home, I realized I didn't have much time if I wanted to get to the gym, since it was closing at noon.

John and I drove over and got to swim some laps and hit the steam room before they kicked us out. It was perfect.

On the way out the door, I noticed they were playing "Miracle on 34th Street". It was all so very holiday'ish.

We stopped at the store on the way home and saw that Shakespeare's was open. I was just going to go  home and make grilled cheese and tomato soup, but we decided to say, "screw that" and headed over for lunch. Coadster met us there and she got her favorite, mini corn dog basket. She loves it, but EW.





























Coadster came home with us and I started cleaning. I took care of the living room, the kitchen and the bathroom. I also went to our storage area upstairs and pulled out Christmas stockings, lights and garland. Since we didn't put up a tree this year, I had to decorate on the fly. It turned out well and I won't have to clean up pine needles for the next six months. Fine with me.


John made oyster stew to take over to his mom's place. After he cleaned up and took off, I baked some cookies and made fettuccine Alfredo from scratch. the kids all came over and we ate and watched a Christmas movie. It was such a nice, mellow, evening.



John got home around 8 o'clock. So, we did our book exchange. I found out about that Icelandic tradition where you buy each other books and chocolate and you all get to go to bed and read and eat chocolate until you fall asleep. So, we drew names and bought our person their favorite chocolate and a good book. John picked my name and I was very happy with my haul.

I tried to stay up and read a little, but fell fast asleep in about 15 minutes.



 I woke up on Christmas day and gave Archie the perfect cat Christmas present - I placed some items on the edge of the table so he could knock them off. He seemed quite pleased.


The kids came over at around 10:30 and checked out their stockings (yes, Santa will come until they're at lease in their 50's as long as I'm still alive).

We opened our gifts. Stinky painted a picture for her fiance and it turned out pretty cool. Homemade gifts are the best gifts.


The girls got me some cat socks.



And the cat's pajamas...



We did our traditional eating sushi for lunch. I doubt we'll ever give that up.


Stinky and her fiance' went to his dad's for the afternoon, John took a nap and finished the cleaning I started the day before. Coadster and I watched another Christmas movie and colored in their new coloring books, while Archie sat on top of my book. Jerk.


 In the evening, Stinky and her fiance brought their puppy over and Heidi exerted her dominance over him, Poor Jaxson. He only wants to play. All of the damn animals are big jerks.


John helped me get everything ready for the Christmas taco bar and it was all so delicious.


At about 7, all the kids and some of our friends showed up. We ate and drank and talked and then played some Cards Against Humanity and laughed, and laughed, and laughed.


Archie got all fancy and dressed himself in garland and wore some bunny ears.

John had to work the next day, so we kicked everyone out and cleaned up our mess and I finally got to bed after midnight. I was exhausted, but it was such a nice evening, that it was way worth it.


The next day, I got up at around 8 and Coadster and I headed to the movie theater for $5 Tuesday's to watch the "Disaster Artist". It was ridiculous and bizarre and I really liked it.

I dropped Coadster off and then went home and read in front of the fake fireplace for a while. I got up and made the last of the Christmas cookies, then headed to the Can Shed to get rid of our cans and bottles. 

At 5, I picked up the girls and we went to the gym. I had bought them some passes, so we could all go together and since it was awfully cold out, I thought I'd try the elliptical machine. I've never really worked out on a machine, except a bicycle, so it was a big learning experience for me and probably a bit of an embarrassment for my daughters. Oh well. They embarrassed me plenty when they were little, so I'm fine with evening that all out. Anyway, I did the machine thingy for a little over a half an hour and it was just fine. Of course, my calves have been killing me ever since, but I guess that just means it worked.

After we worked out, we got John and all headed to Eastside Shorts for dinner and a beer. I'm pretty sure we deserved it. I went back to work the next day, but we only had to work three days before we hit the next weekend. It was such a lovely holiday and I got to hang out with my girls every day and I make a big point to try and plan no-stress activities, because in the past, the holidays have been way too stressful. As we near the end of this year, I am happy to say that I am one lucky old lady.

No comments: