Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Everyone's Feelin' Pretty. It's Hotter Than July


 Well, now we're up to the 4th of July. Since it was on a Tuesday, both John and I had to work on Monday. We knew we had a lot to do with that day of vacation, so we got up early. John went to the cyclocross course to get some work done there and I went out for a run before it got ridiculously hot.

Then after I got back, I worked on using our friend's chainsaw to cut up the trees that we chopped down over the weekend. It was crazy how long that took and how many bags it took to get all of the yard waste ready for pick-up. I'll tell you what, though. If I lived out in the country, I would have made a gigantic bonfire of it all and called it good.

So, I spent most of the day getting all of that crap sawed up and bagged (10 big yard bags and one big garbage can, yeah) and then John and I went to Shakespeare's (our neighborhood pub) to eat lunch. The Cubs game was on and the food was good and I had an ice cold Coca-Cola and that was just the fuel I needed to get ready for round two. We came home and I mowed the lawn. John was going to try and work outside, but it just got way too damn hot. So, I ran to the store to get a few things and he worked on cleaning the inside of the house.


When I got home, I had a little time and I used it to rest and read my book and have an ice cold Arnold Palmer. Aaaahhhhh. Archie kept me company, although, he was pretty tired from having napped all day.

I finally got up and got going. Stinky and her fiance were coming over for dinner and true to my usual form I had to cook WAY too much food. I grilled salmon and barbecued chicken and stuffed and grilled peppers from our garden and I sauteed eggplant, zucchini and green beans from our garden. I also took a huge risk and got some corn on the cob. It was early, so it could have gone badly, but it was excellent. After our bellies were so full we could barely walk, Stinky and her fiance took off and John and I watched an episode of Seinfeld before we went to bed.

It may not have been the most fun Fourth of July I ever had, but it felt to get some stuff done and now the neighbors should be happy that our yard doesn't look so much like crap.

No comments: