Friday, September 05, 2014

And We Drink Ourselves Full of Beer. To Help Us When We Deal With All the Fear.














 So, after our simplification of our lives purge, we decided to work on our house in earnest. Our house was built in 1950. it's pretty solid, but we have had a termite problem and a moist (ew!) crawl space and a bunch of other problems and we decided to take out a home equity loan to get things fixed.


















 The first project I worked on was ripping up the carpet in the dormer room. Archie was a HUGE help (ahem).


















 I put rope in the cracks, but the cracks were all different sizes and it took forever and not all of it looks that great. My fall back plan is to put tons of primer and paint in those cracks. I'll let you know how that goes...


















 I put on two layers of oil based primer and got a free high AND a free headache. Lucky me.


















I finally finished the first part of the floor, and REALLY needed to get out of the house afterward.


















 We decided to go to the Kalona Brewery and kill brains cells the deliciously old fashioned way - with beer.


















Stay tuned for the next installment, when we kill even more brain cells with a nice fresh coat of oil based, French gray paint on that floor and who knows, maybe we'll throw in some asbestos induced lung cancer when we scrape off the popcorn ceiling in the kitchen. Cheers to DIY projects!

1 comment:

AlienCG said...

According to Alton Brown, termites hate cashews and as such will not like anything stained or sealed with cashew oil. Of course, I have no idea how expensive the stuff is. Sorry I've been away for so long, but the blogger scene has sort of thinned out as of late.