Saturday, January 08, 2022

I Heard the News Today, Oh Boy

Well, look at 2022 Churlita writing two whole posts in one week. I'd love to make a habit of that, but I save most of my time and energy on bad habits, so we'll see if I can get around to that healthier one.

So, this pandemic, right? What a bunch of crap. The latest variant is so contagious that most of us will probably get it. I am smart enough to be vaccinated and boosted, so if/when I do get it, I'm hoping to avoid any messy hospitalizations or death. I have been lucky enough to be able to work from home this month that the students are gone, but we have to go back the first day of classes, so then I'll get to be exposed to all of the people who have traveled from all over the world, and some of them won't be vaccinated or wearing masks, so I think that should create a nice Covid stew. I would love it if they could wait a couple of weeks for all the germs to settle down before we came back to the office, but apparently, the board of regents would rather we all get sick, so that we will have to call in sick, and not be able to come into the office anyway. That's how the "smart" people do things

So, yeah. We're still working on our bathroom. We're just starting our second month, and we're almost done...I think. My brother was very, very, kind and came to do some work on our house for us last month on the eighth. He said he had a very aggressive estimate of finishing everything in four days. Since I know what an old, cranky asshole our house can be, I saw him, and raised him a week. The actual time it took him was ten whole days. Yikes! Poor guy. 

Anyway, John was great and got our sink installed, after about 15 trips to the hardware store to get the many different things that were supposed to have come with the sink and pipe installation kit, but were missing, and then a couple of different screws that didn't quite fit. I am so bad at dealing with that kind of thing, so I took on the responsibility of scraping, sanding, scraping and sanding again, and then finally, today, priming the woodwork in the bathroom. Guess how many layers of paint I had to get through to even see the wood? That would be, or at least seem like, 5,987. Ugh! Tomorrow, I get to paint it all. Then we'll clean and put everything back, and then put all the pretty stuff in, like plants and towels, and rugs. That's what I'm looking forward to, but mostly being done with the whole thing.

It has been ridiculously cold here lately. I know, it's January in Iowa. What do I expect? I guess the good thing about it, is that I certainly don't mind wearing a mask around everywhere I go when the windchills are 30 below zero. My face doesn't freeze off, AND it keeps away those pesky Covid germs. Two birds.



 The cats have been total jerks lately. I'm sure it's from not being able to go out on the porch while it's this cold out, but JAYSUS! it's getting old.

They start out like my kids used to do, where they're messing with each other, and they're all laughing, and everyone seems to be into it...Until someone hits the other one too hard, and then suddenly all hell breaks loose and you're not sure you can get them apart and there are tears and threats, and in the case of the cats, there are tufts of hair flying and hissing and growling and I get super stressed out. Then five minutes later, it's all forgotten, they're all happy and friends again, and nobody knows why I reacted the way I did. I just must be psycho or something. Whatever. Kids and pets. They're all the same. I love them so much.

So, here's to things warming up with the weather and cooling down with the pandemic. I hope everyone gets their projects completed, and that all our kids and pets just calm the eff down.

No comments: