Tuesday, December 24, 2019

And So This is Christmas. I Hope You Have Fun. The Near and the Dear One, The Old and the Young




I know this time of year can be really rough for people. Whether they have depression issues, or they feel overwhelmed that they can't afford the time or money to give their kids the Christmas they want, or they don't have a family to spend the holiday with or, they have to work over the holiday when it seems like everyone else is off. I have had some crappy Christmases in past years, so I try to make my holiday exactly the way I want.

This weekend it meant riding bikes outside in this lovely weather to eat food. It was perfect for us.


On Saturday we rode 50 miles to Kalona and back. In the morning I went for a little run, finished reading a book, putzed around the house and then after our bike ride in the afternoon I spent about an hour and a half getting groceries for all of the food I'm going to make on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. So, I did do something practical after all.


That evening, John's ex-girlfriend and her husband were having people over for the many birds they were frying.

My friend Nick found some grapes, and my friend Ginger thought it would be hilarious to take a photo of him feeding them to me. Old people and their hilarious ideas...What are you gonna do?


On Sunday I got up and went for a nice run and then came home and cleaned the dormer room, so that Stinky and I could make her husband's Christmas present later in the day up there.


Finally we were ready for another bike ride. We did the Lone Tree loop, which is about a 40 mile, fairly flat bike ride. Don't worry, though, the winds were strong enough to make us work harder than we wanted to.


After our ride we met Stinky and her husband at Big Grove for a late lunch and some Sunday funday beers. It was so nice to get to hang out with them.


As we were leaving, we realized that there was some dog centered event in the beer garden. I haven't seen that many beautiful pups assembled in one place in a long time. It was lovely.


When we got home, Stinky and I went to work on her husband's Christmas present. We were going to buy him a nice piece of art, but he said he would rather we painted him something instead. So, Stinky and I made a three panel abstract painting using his favorite colors, blue and gray and we added a little gold to give it more heat. I think they turned out pretty cool.


So, I had the best before Christmas weekend and covered so many bases. Which was good, because now it's Christmas Eve and the weather is perfect, but I came down with another migraine. John went on a ride without me, and I am left at home to relax and rest and take a hot bath and bake and frost cookies. Not a bad alternative.

I hope you all have lovely holidays, whatever you do or don't celebrate.

1 comment:

Bishop Braden said...

Hi greeat reading your blog