Thursday, April 05, 2012

Chapter One We Didn't Really Get Along

My first year of planting tulips.

So, yeah. I've been reading some books. I told you how I went through all of those "best of" lists to find some of the best written novels from the last 10-15 years. I had good luck with most of the books I found, but I did recently run into a couple of clinkers.

Our garden is keeping the cats up to their tiitts in fresh, organic catnip. Duuuuuuude.

I can't remember what book I talked to you about last, but here are the last few I've read:

Room is the story of a woman who was kidnapped and kept in a shed behind her captor's house. I know a lot of people who didn't like this book, but I did. Sure, the first part was a little long and it's told in the voice of her 5 year old son which took some getting used to, but I liked the book overall and I was very happy with the ending.

Ten Thousand Saints - I was excited to read this from the review, but I never really cared about any of the characters and there wasn't enough of a story to it, to make up for that. Disappointing.

House of leaves - This book was also well reviewed, but I didn't think it measured up. It was supposed to be a scary story, but none of it really frightened me. It was kind of about a haunted house, with rooms that grew and changed and growled and from what I can tell, were supposed to represent the female psyche. I have a feeling, this book would have been a lot scarier had I been a man. Most women I know are pretty used to our own growling and unpredictable spaces.

The Accidental - I'm almost done with this now. It is an English novel and I like it. I don't love it, I don't feel like I want to devour it, like some books I read, but it's interesting and well written. I do agree with the review that had problems with the stranger who imposes herself on the family - she isn't either likable enough or fascinating enough to explain how taken the family was with her. She was more of a catalyst, than a person and she felt a bit contrived.

Here are my lilacs - a month or so early.

Tomorrow I will start reading is called The Sisters Brothers. One reviewer described as the book Cormac McCarthy would write if he had a sense of humor. Man, I hope it lives up to that.

8 comments:

NoRegrets said...

Thanks for the book reviews! You read so much - keep the reviews coming please.

And I'm so jealous... lilacs...

NoRegrets said...

I'll give you $10 if you stop asking me to prove I"m not a robot...

The robot is angry - I just tried twice to get this note to post. One more time...

silly rabbit said...

Oh your photos make me so envious of your weather! My tulips are up, but still not opening their buds... and the lilacs are at least a month or two away.
Stoned Archie cracked me up!
What is wrong with being a robot?

rel said...

Sometimes I think I'm from a different planet apart from reviewers.
rel

Tara said...

I'd be interested in "Room". As for the "House of Leaves", I hate it when I'm not scared by a book that's supposed to be scary. It's just like when people say a movie should be really scary, but for me it falls flat.

rel said...

Churlita,
Happy Easter!
rel

laura b. said...

Your flowers and your kitty are lovely :)
The only one of those books I've read is Room, which I liked quite a bit. Thanks for the reviews!

Mnmom said...

So glad you joined goodreads! I love that site, especially for the nifty way I can keep track of my "to reads".

I'll be in IC April 30th, begging the Financial Aid department for more money. May look you up.

HIGHLY jealous of your lilacs. They are my all time favorite flower.