Monday, January 03, 2022

So, I Turned Myself to Face Me, But I've Never Caught a Glimpse


 Holy cow! Happy New Year and RIP Betty White! There's so much to talk about and I haven't been very good about doing it lately. I blame our house renovations we've been doing for the last month. We're so close to being done with the bathroom, but there's still plenty to do.

I hope you all had a great new year, and that this year is better for all of us. I've been seeing a lot of people posting New Year's resolutions, and I say good on them. I don't do it, but I hope it works for those of you who do.

It's hard to be good, isn't it? I'm not talking in the way of trying not to kill people. Although, I've had days at work where that's hard too. I'm talking about taking care of ourselves. We all know what we need to do: Drink tons of water, drink less alcohol, eat better food and less of it, exercise more, be kinder to others, don't blow our money, get rid of half the shit we own, keep our houses up better, and blah, and blah, and blah. Trying to do all of that shit is hard. Really hard. There are days where I'm better at it, and days where I just let it go and give myself a get out of jail free card. Eff it. I'm tired. I'm annoyed with almost every living person on this earth. I want to eat handfuls of sugar, and add salt to everything I eat. Also, I'm going to sit around in the same jammies for an entire weekend, and maybe I won't shower either. 

They (the illusive they) always say it's a balance. But who really gets that balance down? They also say we're not supposed to beat ourselves up about stuff. So,when I do say screw it all and watch the crappiest, cheesiest TV shows, and believe me, I do that way too often, I just have to give myself that. I will watch a marathon of "Hawaii Life" on HGTV and want to take a shot every time a middle aged white dude says, "Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!" (Which would mean I would die of alcohol poisoning by the end of each show, so I don't). But then I'll go through a week where I read more than watch TV, I ride my bike or go running more, I watch my sugar intake, I actually fold my clean laundry and put it in drawers instead of letting sit in a pile in the hamper in my room. Then something happens, oh, say, like a pandemic hits, or I have a bad perimenopausal hormone bout, or something stressful happens with my daughters, and I backslide and reach for the comfort of Ben Jerry's and a super embarrassing Christmas movie or whatever.

So, trying to make a resolution to change all my unhealthy behaviors for a year, or the rest of my life is just way too stressful. I just try to be better about stuff in general, and sometimes I am able to be mindful, and I take better care of myself, and other times I spend way too much time watching movies and BBC TV series' based on Jane Austen novels, and it hasn't killed me yet,

What I'm trying to say is, sure, take care of yourselves, and try to be better and all that shit, but also, cut yourselves slack when you need to. Happy 2022 to all you all!


No comments: