Tuesday, January 18, 2022

I Turn Myself Around. I'm Moving Backwards and Forwards.

Well, kids. My lovely month of getting to work from home is over, and I had to go into the office today. Sigh. I hate having to wear actual pants, and riding to work on snowy/icy roads was tons of "fun" too. I didn't crash my bike at all, so that was a plus. 

I felt really crappy today, which led me to play my favorite game again: allergies and migraines, or Covid? I took a Covid test when I got home and it was negative Soooo....Allergies and perimenopause for the "win"!


So, you'll all be happy to know that except for repotting plants and sealing some tile, our bathroom is pretty much done. I spent most of the Martin Luther King holiday cleaning the last of the paint chips and sawdust off of the walls and floors, and wiping down, checking expiration dates (you'd be amazed at how old some of this shit was), and organizing all of our bathroom crap. I didn't do the whole "does it bring me joy" thing, because if sunscreen, stool softener, and band-aids gave me joy, you should all feel free to worry about me. I threw out all the old stuff, and wondered where the hell a lot of it came from, and tried to organize what I kept. Who knew what the shelf actually looked like? It was covered with five year old bottles of bug spray, bottles of lotion with just a centimeter left in the bottom. Behold the fact that you can see the shelf now, for in about two weeks, I'm sure we'll have acquired enough Mucinex, hand sanitizer and Thera-fu to cover it all back up again.



 While I was doing this lovely project, I listened to different episodes of "All Things Considered" on Spotify. It was mostly interviews of people who recently died - Joan Didion, Sidney Poitier, and Betty White. It was kind of like having old friends tell me stories about their lives while I worked.

Now, I'm going to talk about books for a hot second. I just finished reading "The Vanishing Half" by Brit Bennett. I had read "The Mothers" a year or so ago, and I really liked it, but I LOVED "The Vanishing Half". If  you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it. I am going to start reading Stacey Abrams' "While Justice Sleeps" next. My daughter let me borrow it. It' a novel, and if it's good, I'm going to have to ask what CAN'T Stacey Abrams do? She is a power house. And also, where does she find the time? Okay. I know what you're going to say, she doesn't waste all of her time watching shitty shows on TV. Yeah, yeah. I'm old and broken. I need my cheese.

Anyhooooo, I better get to sleep, so I can get those night time hot flashes rolling. Woot!

2 comments:

NoRegrets said...

I"m sorry you are having so many physical issues. SUCKS.

Churls said...

Thanks. perimenopause ain't for the weak. Ha ha.