Wednesday, August 04, 2021

When People Run in Cirlcles It's a Very, Very, Mad World, Mad World


So, now we're on to our very first full day in California. Yea...For the most part. Being me at this time in my life, I always have some stupid shit going wrong with my body. It's usually migraines, but migraines cause other shit, and it all seems to come from stupid hormone fluctuations. I thought I would be into full-on menopause starting in July, but someone forgot to tell my body that, because it is being a total asshole and giving me three week long migraines, leg cramps, it's causing me to gain weight if I so much as look at ice cream, and seemingly endless PMS, without the M, and I'm STILL getting zits. Come on. Aren't wrinkles enough?

Anyway, all of that was really just to say...Okay. It wasn't leading to anything other than just to bitch, and then to say that I woke up with a migraine on my first full day in California. Yippee!


The plan was that we were going to get up early and try to ride our bikes over the Golden Gate Bridge before the hoards of other people woke up and decided to do the same thing. I took a couple of Advil and hoped it would be enough.

We parked at Chrissy Field, and only got lost once. No, make that twice before we found our way to ride over the bridge. We had read all of the things and decided to make sure we went on a weekend, so the side just for bike riders would be open. It was still windy and cold, and a little scary riding over it, but I really loved it. The only drag (besides the migraine), was that my cyclocross bike that I brought wasn't functioning properly. I could only get about 5 of the gears to work. I was supposed to ride it a few days before we left on our trip to make sure it worked, but I had that three week migraine, and I just couldn't get myself to do it. So, me and my five gears rode over the Golden Gate Bridge. Luckily, they were some of my easier gears, because I am old and fat, and those hills coming into Marin are serious.

When we got to Sausolito, I spotted a cute little coffee shop, and we stopped to get some caffeine and croisaants. I had read that on Sunday mornings, those kinds of places got crowded quickly, so I got in line, and ordered right before it got really busy. We even got an outside table.


It was perfect for watching other cyclists ride by and people walking across the street in cow costumes. What?!


We rode a little ways into Sausolito, but my brain pain was getting worse, so we headed back over the bridge.


The fog was starting to clear a little bit on the way back.


 

Here's me stopping to walk up that ridiculous hill on the way back to the bridge. Lucky for me there was a well placed mirror to document my failure to ride up dumb hills. Like I said, I'm old and refuse to feel any shame about it.


The views were lovely all the way around on this ride. If you like to bike, I highly recommend it. I was definitely glad we went early and on a weekend, as to avoid having to ride on the other side of the bridge, with the walkers. Friends of mine have done that and they said it's a shit show, with people walking in packs and stopping and not looking to see if anyone is behind them.


This was the hill we had to walk up and down a few times a day.
This was the hill we had to walk up and down a few times a day.

We made it home, so I could take my migraine meds and lie down for a spell, before we did something else. My original plan had been to go to Fisherman's Wharf, and Pier 39 and maybe Ghiradelli Square and eat some crab for lunch.


We toasted lunch with John's beer and my Arnold Palmer.

It was getting late, what with all my lying around and recovering from my migraine, so we decided to have lunch in Noe Valley before we took the Muni to the wharf. 

How am I an idiot? Let me count the ways... I did research the Muni before we came and sent John the link too. I used to take the J Church all the time in the 1980's and it looked like little had changed. Boy, was I wrong. I guess because of Covid, they had changed the routes, and so we took J Church, thinking it went at least close to the Wharf, but it dropped us off somewhere near Du Boce, and then I had no idea where to go.


I really need this bumper sticker.

Some very nice people saw us looking confused and came over to ask us if we needed help. I have to say, San Francisco was so full of helpful and kind people. After living in Boston for 20 years, John was really amazed. 

So, these nice people told us the routes had all changed because of Covid and told us to catch the F Market. I got to stand on the platform and wait for the bus on what seemed like the same color as someone's dried blood splattered all over the sidewalk. Oh, how I don't miss living in a city anymore.


Okay, so we made to Fisherman's Wharf, and it was packed with people, and we were feeling a little overwhelmed from our trying to take public transportation in the time of Covid, and so we watched this break dancing show on the street just to stare at something and be entertained and not have to think.

We also decided to blow off some steam at the arcade. Because we are both 10 years old at heart, we can spend way too much time at any arcade. I was pretty happy to introduce John to this place, and he was very happy to be introduced.

Apparently, any of the old amusements here were really creepy. Did kids back then just have nightmares every single night?

I was so sad that the arm wrestler guy was broken. He is one of my favorite machines there.

They did have the Atari Star Wars game. John was still really good at it. I'd be surprised if he hadn't played that game since the 80's.

I love pinball, and This Star Wars pinball machine is one of my all-time favorites. I was so happy they had it there.

Of course, no old timey arcade would be complete without a little peeping. Spoiler alert: The belly dancer irons in her slip on her day off. Womp, womp.

We decided to leave the crazy touristy world of Fisherman's Wharf, and head over to Ocean Beach. It's only a few blocks away, but it can seem worlds different.


I used to hang out in North Beach a lot when lived in San Francisco. This store is ever book nerd's dream. Lawrence Ferlinghetti just died this year. I'm glad the bookstore is still going.


I wanted to take John to Vesuvio's. I loved this quirky little bar when I was just barely legally able to drink, and it hasn't changed much at all.

Since we were feeling swanky, we ordered cocktails and sat at the bar.

Even though it's been forever since all the Beatnik cool cats used to hang out here, you still get the feeling that you could look over at the person sitting next to you and find Jack Kerouak.

North Beach is the big Italian neighborhood in San Francisco, and Italy had just won the European soccer title that day, so people were all cheering and driving around with Italian flags flying out of their cars. As I've said before, I love that shit.

After our cocktails, we walked over to where we were going to eat. There were signs all over the street with hope and happiness just a few weeks after California opened up from Covid. I would love for that feeling to last, but I guess we'll see...

We ate at Kennedy's Irish pub. It has a bizarre concept where the front of the building is an Irish pub, and the back is an Indian restaurant.

The food was so good, but I ate so much that I was afraid John was going to have to roll me home.

We did have enough energy to play skee ball after we ate, and I won, and John pouted. Exactly as it should be.

Dog pooping was the least of our worries that night.

 Getting home on the Muni was maybe even more of an adventure at night. A man got on the street car and I don't believe he was of sound mind. He started getting riled up and saying that we "were all gonna die in 10 minutes. We were all gonna disappear in ten minutes. Everybody was gonna be gone in 6 minutes. That's right. I'll cut you all. I have a knife. You are all gonna die in 4 minutes. You're all gonna disappear in five minutes..." I believe every Muni driver in San Francisco should be canonized after they die. Our Muni driver stopped the bus/car/train/thingy, calmly walked over to the gentleman, told him he had to calm down, stop all that nonsense, and get off at the next stop. Then he walked back up and started driving again. Damned if the gentleman didn't calm down, and tell us all much more quietly that we were all gonna die in 4 minutes, and then get off the bus and start yelling it. Whew!

The line ended about a mile or so before our Air BnB, so John and I had a nice walk up some hills, but most importantly, our lives weren't threatened once that whole walk home.
 

No comments: