Monday, November 16, 2020

Yeah, When I Get to Heaven, I'm Gonna Take That Wristwatch Off My Arm. What are You Gonna Do With Time, After You've Bought the Farm?

Well, Kids. It was a cold and blustery weekend here in Iowa. Which meant there were no 72 mile bike rides for me THIS weekend. Worst of all, I had a migraine on Saturday. I know it's been a while since I whined about that here on the blog, so I thought I'd go ahead and do it now. Wah.

I had made this big list of things I wanted to get done over the weekend, but I had to take my migraine meds on Saturday morning, and then I was pretty useless until the afternoon. I did rally after lunch, however. I went to the store to get groceries, and since I work from home, and I haven't been to the store in two weeks, when I left, John said, "Have a fun social life!" I have become one of those people who's only social experiences happen at the store. There is a pandemic though, so cut me some slack, damn it.

My other big project on Saturday was to scrub the hell out of the cupboards and the kitchen floor. Some of my motivation was to get rid of the two week old flower water smell, and I know it's not a big deal to most people to clean their kitchen floors and cupboards, but as you've probably guessed, I'm not the most fastidious housekeeper, and also, I got down on my hands and knees and cleaned the cupboards and the floor. There wasn't even a mop involved. So there.


Anyway, Sunday was better. I had a little tiny migraine pain, but nothing that couldn't be helped by taking some Advil. So, I read and drank tea and made myself some pancakes for breakfast, and then I got out and went running. It was the first run I've had where my body didn't completely rebel against me. I even had a little runner's high. Yea! It didn't hurt that my iPhone threw up a decent playlist. I got some Violent Femmes, Jill Scott, Aimee Mann, Chance the Rapper, The Psychedelic Furs, and Billy Bragg and Willco.


When I got home from my run, John asked what my plans were for the afternoon. I said, "Well, I was thinking I would either rake leaves, or clean the hell out of the living room, or start washing and prepping to paint the laundry room. Which of those do you think needs to happen first?"

John replied, "Oh. I guess I wasn't thinking about any of those things. I thought we could go to Coralville and ride the mountain bike trails there..."

"Sweet! Okay. I haven't ridden my mountain bike since last Spring." And that exchange right there is why it is always a big damn deal when I clean my kitchen floors. We will always opt to play outside instead. Of course, if I died tomorrow, I wouldn't care whether the leaves in our yard weren't raked, but I would be pissed that I didn't take that last opportunity to play bikes outside.



 Oh, so, on the way to ride bikes, we stopped at our local food Co-op to get some French bread to have with the potato leek soup I was making for dinner. I gave the cashier my member number and slid her the bread, and she said, "Well, you don't owe anything. Bread is free for members today." What the fuck? For a minute there, I thought maybe I died sooner than tomorrow, and through some incredible glitch on the universe's part, I made it to heaven. Then I remembered it was just bread that was free and my heaven would also have free beer and cheese. So, then I knew I was still alive, just having a very good day.

No comments: