Monday, February 24, 2020

Sweetest Surrender of Winter


Wow, kids! What a weekend. It was in the 50's both days at the end of February in Iowa. Of course, there's a good chance of snow tonight and tomorrow, but I can't think about that today. I'll think about that tomorrow.


Since it was so nice out, we did two long rides, and now my legs are very, very sore. On Saturday we rode to Kalona for lunch. It was a strong headwind on the way there.


Also, Kalona is where there are large Amish and Mennonite communities, so there were tons of horses and cows and dogs for me to say hi to.


The ride home was so nice. It was about 53 degrees out, and we had a tailwind for most of the ride. Fifty miles of Heaven.


On Sunday the winds were coming almost straight out of the West, so we decided to ride to Cedar Rapids. Most of the ride is on multi-use trails, which normally feels a lot safer than riding on highways where many drivers are distracted by their phones.

The danger yesterday, was that some of those trails hadn't been plowed all Winter, and the shadier spots were slick and snow covered.


At least the scenery was lovely and bucolic.


We hit one section of trail that was completely snow and ice covered for about a mile and a half. I had to call Coadster and tell her we were going to be about fifteen or twenty minutes late meeting here for lunch.


By Sunday night I had run about 10 miles and ridden 115 miles and I was ridiculously sore and exhausted. I might need to rest for a day or two before I try to exert myself again. I'm sure the cats won't mind if I snuggle with them on the couch.

No comments: