Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Here Comes the Rain Again. Falling on My Head Like a Memory. Falling on My Head Like a New Emotion.


Oh, kids. I remember how the month of May used to be when my girls were younger - basically, a sh*t show. It seemed like everything happened that month - the last choir and orchestra concerts, track meets, soccer games, all the end of the year parties and I had no time or money with which to do it all and stress, and stress, and stress.

I always thought that when my kids got older, that would all calm down, and it did...A little. Now, it's all self-imposed stuff that I occupy my time/stress myself out with.

All that above is supposed to be my excuse for not blogging very prolifically lately. Also, sorry about that.


 What has kept me so busy, you ask? Oh, all kinds of crap. Mostly, I have been spending a sh*tload of time bitching about the weather. Again, you ask? Still, I respond.

It has been rainy and cold almost every day for the last few little whiles. Today the high is in the mid-fifties and it's raining again. Hopefully, it's supposed to start warming up tomorrow and we'll see if it continues to rain like it's been doing.

The last two weeks we've also been keeping busy trying to do good deeds when we can. John and I volunteered to bike pace a running race for low income/at risk kids as part of a program to help them channel their energy toward more positive things like running and working together as a community. This is the second year we've volunteered and we hope to get the chance again. It is a wonderful program.


A couple of Sundays ago was Mother's Day. It was cold and rainy that day as well, but not so bad that John and I couldn't get in a nice 66 mile bike ride to Cedar Rapids and back.

In the evening, we met the girls and Stinky's husband for dinner at Pagliais Pizza. If you'll remember, last year I cooked a meal for us and the kids and neither of my daughters offered to help with the cooking or the clean-up. That disappointed me, so this year, I decided to avoid the disappointment and just go to a restaurant and not have to worry about it. Mission accomplished. I made it through a Mother's Day with almost no disappointments. Score!


I guess the thing all this cool and rainy weather is good for, are my salad greens. I have tons of spinach and leaf lettuce and mixed greens. It's a good problem to have, I'm just trying to think of new and different kinds of salads to make. Wish me luck!


This past weekend was...Wait for it...Cold and rainy again. On Saturday we found a window between rain storms and rode our bikes to Amish country and back. It was a lovely ride.


We also found an opportunity for our weekly good deed. As we were riding back to town, we noticed a turtle starting to cross the street. We stopped our bikes, rode back and waited for a break in the traffic in order to carry her/him across. Look how beautiful she/he was!


I read on the internet (they would print it if it weren't true, right?) that you shouldn't move a turtle back the way it came, since it will just go right back into the street it was originally trying to cross. Instead, you should take it where it was headed. So, I made sure to deposit her/him in a nice grassy spot with a lovely view of the lake. Good luck, pretty, little, turtle. I hope you have a nice long life.


On Sunday it didn't seem to stop raining or sprinkling, so I gave myself a goal of finally planting every last seed, root, bulb, seedling or whatever, I had to plant.

After much digging, weeding, some volunteer tree removal and lot's of sweat (EW!), I finally finished up planting my gardens. I'm a little worried about my tomatoes and Mexican Torch Sunflowers, since they are not handling all of this cold and rain very well, but I guess all I can do is wait and see how they do.


So, I'm hoping to be better about blogging and if we're lucky, the weather will improve so I won't have the excuse of whining instead of writing. Of course, there are always the cats to whine about, so I can't promise anything...

No comments: