Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Iowa, Iowa. Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall...


So, hey. I'm finally on the last day of my birthday weekend. Monday, July 17th. It started out on the deck of the caboose with coffee and tea and the fresh raspberries that I just picked, admiring the beautiful horses. What a great way to start our day.


We finally had to leave our caboose haven and head out to do the fun things on our last day.


John always teases me about how I want to try and do everything humanly possible when we go on a trip. In my defense, I don't have a lot of time and money, so who knows if I'll ever get to go to any place again. I might as well try to do and see what I can while I'm there.

On our last day, we decided to go back and do the couple of things we did a little bit with the girls and just do them longer. Which meant that John and I would go back and ride the whole trail around Decorah.


We made it back to the fish hatchery and rode around there for a bit before we got back on the trail.


Everything about the trail was beautiful and it was so fun to ride.


We stopped often to take photos and check out the views.


Also, it was a beautiful day.


Oh, Decorah. You are so bike friendly. We were happy to spend our money in your town.


We had a nice lunch after our ride and then went back to the tubing place.


We wanted to do the longer route before we headed back home.


The whole float took us three hours. We had a strong headwind the whole way, but we didn't mind.


We had cold beer and wonderful company.


We had a few obstacles in our way, but they were easy to work around.


Of course, this being Iowa, our biggest obstacle was floating through the cattle.


I was a little worried, but like John said, there weren't any babies around and as we floated through them, they just moved over and stared at us like they had no idea why we were messing with their watering hole. So, we drifted on by and said goodbye.


We also got to see some nice birds - my favorite, a great blue heron and several eagles. Lucky us.


We finally made it to the end of our float and headed home. It was a lovely 4 days and we only had four more days until we took off again on another Iowa excursion. Again, lucky us.

2 comments:

Josie Smith said...

Glad you had a great time in Decorah!

Churls said...

We loved Decorah and your bike shop. I hope to be back soon.