Monday, July 29, 2019

Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls. Please Stick to the Rivers and the Lakes That You're Used to.


Okay. Here we go. You will now be hit with a barrage of vacation posts. We had a great trip full of cycling, hiking, swimming, rock climbing, eating, hanging out with friends and family, and all around having a great time.

We got up early on Saturday morning and left Iowa City at about 5:15 am. It was a 12 hour drive to Breckenridge, but because of mountain time, we got there at about 5:30 after gas stops and one peanut butter and jelly lunch stop at a rest area in Nebraska.


We rented and AirBnB in Breckenridge in a little resort there. It was really cute and they had a pool and a jaccuzi and tennis and basketball courts and Coadster said she would love to be able to afford a place there. Me too, sister, me too.


We met our friends at the Breckenridge Brewery for dinner and drinks.They had great food there.


Afterwards, our friends were exhausted, so we wandered around the downtown area without them. I made Coadster take ridiculous photos of all the statues and she humored me and played along. She was a VERY good sport.


After we got back to our place, we stuck our feet in the jacuzzi and went to bed by 9 o'clock. We were all exhausted from driving so much, and the altitude, and we wanted to get up early the next morning to see stuff before we headed for Moab.


Since the bike path was just across the street from our place, John and I rode our bikes around and met Coadster and our friends for breakfast the next morning.


After we ate and rode back, we decided to find this hiking trail that supposedly led to a waterfall. Sounds perfect, right? Well, it would have been, if we had actually made it there. We mistakenly took the long way there that turned out to be an unmaintained trail where we had crawl under downed trees and hike almost straight up a mountain.

We finally gave up and went down the mountain and discovered a much easier hike there, where we drove up the mountain and THEN did a little hike on a well maintained trail to the waterfall.


Of course, by that time it was getting late and we still had to eat and drive five more hours to Moab.


So, we hiked some more and it, of course, took longer than we thought it would.


We hiked to over 12,000 feet, and that meant we ran into snow on the mountain and were able to have a snowball fight in the middle of July, which was another first for me. We never made it to the waterfall at the end, because we ran out of time. We turned back around and hiked down the mountain to our car.

The big problem with all of this hiking from 11,000 feet to 12,000 feet is that I get altitude sickness. I believe Iowa is like 700 feet above sea level. The hike was pretty rough for me, but Coadster did get a few laughs at my expense as I had to stop and breathe/wheeze many times up that mountain.

By the time we finished, I had a migraine so bad, I had to sit down on the curb while John and Coadster paid the meter before we had lunch.


We finally headed to Moab. I took my migraine meds and passed out in the car...Or tried to. The scenery from Breckenridge to Moab was so beautiful, it was hard not to gawk the whole way.


We made it to Moab, just as the sun was setting. John had to fix his flat mountain bike tire and two guys from England who were there to ride mountain bikes, kept coming by and cracking jokes. I fell asleep pretty early and I was glad I did, because the following day was so busy and so great that I needed to rest up for it.

No comments: