Monday, September 27, 2010

Mystery Is What This Is to Me

Stinky making that face before the Homecoming dance.

Soooo. Let's see. Remember how I told you I was going out to dinner with a friend? Well, I wasn't sure if it was a friend thing or a date. We had talked about things the week before, and he said he was just out of long term relationship, and thought he needed to be single for a while. I had had that confusion with other guys, and figured I should just assume it was a friend thing to protect myself. You know, 4,213 times bitten, 8,426 times shy and all.

Then on Friday morning he sent me this:

How can I possibly be nervous about our date tonight?

How long have I known you?

How old am I?

Just how scary are you?

Geez!


So, then I knew it was a date and got a little nervous myself. We also agreed that I was pretty damn scary.

I got off work, went running, and then met him for dinner...It was very nice and we had a great talk. Afterward, we decided to go to George's for a drink and to stay away from the Dublin and people we knew. Of course, we were there for all of 5 minutes when my friend G. walked in with some of her family members who were in town for the game. We all laughed at the odds of her hanging out there, since she hadn't been at George's for at least a year. I really don't think it's possible for this town to be any smaller.

We had a good talk about things. He's still pretty confused about how ready he is to be in a relationship, but he wants to at least date and see how it goes. We've decided to take things really slowly and that works for me too.

Saturday it rained and rained and rained. Stinky worked all day. I went for a run, but then spent the rest of the day cleaning my place and listening to music. It was a very nice way to spend a rainy day.

In the evening, I went to Stinky's friends house and took pics before the Homecoming dance. The kids all cleaned up pretty nice.

I got home and talked to the guy. We were originally going to meet at the Dublin, but he said he didn't sleep very well the night before. So, he bought a bottle of wine over and I made some food and he came over and we talked and ate and drank it was wonderful. Stinky and her boyfriend came home after the dance and before they went back to their friend's and they all got to meet. Stinky thought he was really nice and he and Stinky took a moment to bond by making fun of me, so he thought she was pretty cool too. So far so good.

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out. I think we both want to make sure we're still friends no matter what happens with our dating. I really hope that's possible.

10 comments:

laura b. said...

No secrets in your town :-) It sounds like you and "the guy" are on the same page...going slow, protecting the friendship...good portents there!

rel said...

Curlita,
Slow and easy does it sounds good.
Small town? You want to talk small town? I live in a village with 400+ people. :)
rel

Tara said...

That sounds really nice, I especially like that the two of you were able to have dinner over at your place and that Stinky got to meet him!

Good luck, it's good that you're both taking it slowly!

SkylersDad said...

I think you are approaching this just the right way, friends first, nice and easy.

NoRegrets said...

Yay! slow and steady wins the race.

Brando said...

Very awesome. Slow is good. Like getting into a pool and getting used to the water before you start training for the Olympics.

booda baby said...

This is great and lovely and exactly what laura b. said: full of good portents. I'm a huge fan of friendships evolving since it's what I go. It's tricky, too, but there's always room for genuine conversation.

Stinky was adORable!

MrManuel said...

On pins and needles here! SLow is good, but hope this all goes somewhere. Assuming that is what you want, of course.

Churlita said...

LauraB., I hope sure hope so.

Rel, Wow. You do live in a small town.

Tara, I didn't really want them to meet yet, but since they did, I'm glad it went well.

Skyler's, It will be interesting to see if this pans out.

Nor, I do like to win races...

Brando, Ha ha. That sounds like a lot of pressure there.

Booda Baby, Thanks. Yeah. I love the evolution of a thing...As long as it evolves. Ha ha.

Mr Manuel, That's what I want.

3GKnight said...

That pic is hilarious. Leave it to Mom to catch something like that and post it on the interwebs for everyone to see.