Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Here is the Main Thing I Want to Say. I'm Busy Twenty-Four Hours a Day





First off, I want to apologize for not having written. I've been having bad migraines that make me stoooopid and not very eloquent, and on top of that, we've been amazingly busy at work from home.

Second off, I want to say, Happy Earth Day! I hope you can get out at some point and pick up some garbage, or enjoy the outdoors in some way that doesn't ruin it. It's all we got, so let's respect and treat it like we want to be around as a species for a long, long, time.


 Today I'm going to talk about my husband only working part-time during the Covid time. I wasn't sure how it was going to go. John and I both have our own way of doing things, so we've had to be better about communicating why and how we want things done. Like, he does most of the dishes (which is one of the best things in my life right now), but apparently it drives him crazy that I put dirty dishes in the other side of the sink (just so you don't think I'm an animal, I put them there and put water in them so they can soak). So, now I will try to only put dirty dishes on the counter to the left side of the sink where John washes the dishes. The things you learn about a person after being together for almost ten years...

Anyway, it's going pretty well so far. For the last two weeks, John was working Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Starting this week, John will only be working Tuesday and Thursday.

The key to a happy partially employed husband, is to keep him busy on his days off. He is always asking what projects I want done. Well, just let me scroll out this list that should cover most of state of Iowa.

His first project was to attach a bike rack to my car. Since he didn't get a new car after the car accident where the woman ran the red light into his car, we are sharing mine, and so we need a bike rack on it. Consider that job done.


Since I bought the house, I've been meaning to get to the yard on the East side of the house. It doesn't cover a lot of space, and it's mostly big ferns that do well in shade, but increasingly there have been more and more big weeds and scrub/volunteer trees. My plan this year was to grub up all of the trees, rake all the old leaves, dig up most of the ferns, then enclose most of the area in a brick border with weed cloth and red lava rock in it. I would also cut some holes in the weed cloth where I intend to plant every other plant a Hosta or a fern. We'll see how that goes. Last Fall, our friends had some extra pavers they wanted get rid off for free, if we were willing to cart them off ourselves. We're planning to use those for the border, and buying a few more if we need them. Of course, I'll put up after shots when we're done with it all.


I had been chipping away at it the last couple of weekends, by grubbing up trees and roots, but yesterday, John spent almost the whole day raking and getting the trees out of there. He has a couple more tree roots to go, but with him doing so much work, we might actually get it almost all done this weekend. We'll see, though.


The other project he's been working on, is putting pet screen on some of the windows. Since Archie was a kitten, he has made it his mission to rip any screen in our house. He's done one hell of a job too. John had already replaced a few of them with pet screen the last couple of years, but there were some more where we just couldn't open certain windows, since the screens were shredded (thanks again, Archie). John finally got a couple more done last week.


And let me tell you, the cats are thrilled to  have that new window to look out of and smell from. Especially since our neighbor's cats hang out in their screened-in porch that faces this particular window. This could be the best Summer ever for the cats.

I would say that we're dealing with John being home more often and me working from home just fine. I just have to keep a list of projects handy for him, and if  you've seen our house, you know that will not be a problem.

No comments: