Tuesday, January 28, 2020

You Are Always Trying to Keep It Real, And I'm in Love With How You Feel


Well, well, well, it's our third wedding anniversary today. We started dating in 2010. Which makes this the longest relationship I've ever been in before. It's definitely the happiest, healthiest relationship I've ever experienced. This post lists just a few of the many reasons why I am madly in love with John.


Like I always say, John works just as hard, or harder than me on everything in our relationship. He is always willing to pitch in wherever he can around the house. Believe me, I had never dated a guy like that before, but it wasn't too hard to get used to. He is also willing to talk about anything I need to talk about to work things out in our relationship emotionally.

In the past I seemed to date guys who were either emotionally unavailable, or if they were more emotionally available, they were abusive. So, after many years of working on my issues and not putting up with crap from other men, I was single and ready to be in a healthy relationship when John moved back to Iowa. It's true when they say it's all about timing.


John is amazing with my daughters. Dealing with women in their late teens and early twenties isn't always easy, to say the least. John is always empathetic and compassionate and no matter what kind of $hit my girls get into, he is there to assure us all that we're going to be okay. He's a nice rock to have in our lives.


John deals with the crazy of my extended family as well. My siblings and I have rather "interesting" (read: strong) personalities, which can mean drama among us, or very tense silences while the drama builds. John always says he's fine with it, since it's not HIS family. He's also so compassionate when it comes to my oldest sister's health problems.

By his actions and reactions, he is the best reminder to me to be kind and empathetic.


Since I originally met John when I was in college, we have many of the same friends, I know most of his exes, and we love most of the people we have met from each other. So, we can hang out with our friends and both of us can have a great time with each other's people.


I have been very poor for much of my life, and haven't been able to travel much. Now that my girls are adults, and I have a little bit more money, I want to go everywhere and see everything.

John always says that if he wants to keep his wife happy, all he has to do is agree to a fun trip in the next six or eight months, and she'll spend all kinds of time joyously planning it. He's a smart man. I am good with the planning, finding all the fun things to do, and the best places to eat and drink. I give him all the links, and he deals with the logistics. I have no sense of direction, so he has to find the bike routes and trails. He also does most of the driving.


John loves animals as much as I do. He brought his own beautiful cat into our relationship, and he tolerates mine. Archie knows that I'm his human, but if he's feeling like a baby, he goes straight to him and bugs him to carry him around the house. John always obliges.

So, nine and a half years into this relationship and three years into this marriage, I couldn't be happier. The best thing is, I'm never bored with John. Here's to many, many more years together!

No comments: