Tuesday, January 07, 2020

And Everything Looks Good Tonight


So, it's the beginning of a new year, which means it's time for my end of 2019 posts. I figured the first of those posts would be about my firsts.

As some of you know, I think a good way to try to grow old gracefully and to still stay excited about life, is to challenge myself to do new things. It's tough as I get older, since I'm a creature of habit, but I'm always glad that I have. As always, some new things are great, and some are not.

This year, many of my new things happened on our Summer vacation. You know it's a great trip when you challenge yourself that often on it.

1.) The first new thing I did was have a snowball fight in July. It was great, because it was warm out, and it didn't hurt to be cold, like my normal snowball fights in the Winter. Also, it was great because we were in the mountains outside of Breckenridge.


2.) The second new thing I did was canoe with my family in a slot canyon. We did this on Lake Powell in Page, Arizona. It was so fun and so beautiful, I highly recommend it, if you can make it happen.


3.) The third thing I did for the first time was to hike in Antelope Canyon. This also happened in Page, Arizona. I would do this every year if I could. It was amazing.


4.) The fourth new thing I did was glamp. That's right - we stayed at a cool site right outside of Zion National Park that offered glamping. It was basically a wood floor with a big canvass tent over it. It had electricity, and most importantly, a chandelier over the bed. It was super cool.


5.) We canyoneered for the first time in Zion as well. While we didn't rappel in or swim in the coldest water on the hike, we did everything else. It was physically demanding, but the pay-off was worth it. It was one of the coolest experiences I had on our trip...And that's saying something.


6.) Now, for something COMPLETELY non-vacation related. I grew hollyhocks for the first time this year. I love them...But unfortunately, so do the Japanese beetles. Hopefully, next year I'll figure out a way to keep those beetles off of my flowers and vegetables.



7.) Like I've said before, some of my first times aren't all good. This year I had a migraine that lasted for at least a month for the first time in my life. I hope that never happens to me again. Eek!


8.) I went to Arkansas for the first time this year. We only stayed in Fayetteville, which is a college town, so there may be some bad parts of the state that I didn't experience, but Fayetteville was so great. We're planning on going back to Bentonville, Arkansas to ride mountain bikes in the next year or two.


9.) My last first thing this year is going to make me sound way more grown up than I actually am. I bought a new bike with money I saved instead of going into debt for it. Woot! What a big girl I am at 54 years of age. I made a rule that unless there was an emergency, I would try not to purchase anything with credit. I hope I'm able to keep that, but at least last year, I did...And I bought a pretty new bike.

What were the things you did for the first time last year? I'm planning on doing cool new stuff this year too. I may not age all that gracefully, but I plan on having fun doing it at least.

No comments: