Tuesday, November 04, 2008

It's Been a Long, a Long Time Coming

Coadster and her Obama fake tattoo she wore all day at school. She went to see Obama speak on Earth Day in 2007 and was very impressed with what he had to say even back then.

I'm going to write a short post tonight. It's been a long and happy night at our house. As I write this, we're listening to Obama's acceptance speech. We heard McCain's earlier and I thought it was very gracious, and in the spirit of cooperation that this country REALLY needs right now.

I'm not going to write a huge political post, because there are others who do that so much better than I, and tonight I'm so excited that all I can say is, YEA! YEA! YEA! I wish my mom were alive so I could call her and we could woo-hoo to each other and spaz-out over the phone.

The sign in front of the Deadwood today.

I figured it was pretty monumental when my sister told me that my Uncle voted for Obama, because I don't know if he has voted for a Democrat president in my lifetime. I'm not sure, but Kennedy could have been the last time for him.

I'm also thinking of Poptart, who worked so long and hard canvassing in and around Illinois. I hope she's at Grant Park right now, celebrating. She deserves it. The last time I was there was in 1984, when I went with a busload of people to hear Jesse Jackson speak the Summer before that election.

We've been hearing firworks since Obama was projected the winner. I can't imagine what it's like in big cities.

Okay, that's enough of me and my blathering. Happy election day to you all. I hope your voting lines were short.

13 comments:

rel said...

Churlta,
I'm glad you voted and that your guy won. It's a process worth preserving.
Now the real work begins.
rel

Mr Atrocity said...

I was quite nervous when I turned on the radio this morning to hear the result but very relieved when it came in. Thanks guys.

Mimi's Pa said...

Long live the anti-Reagan.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

It's important to vote.. to have your say.. I'm glad you got out and voted.. Now for the beer fest..

Minyo said...

I was in and out of my polling place in minutes! I'm very happy with the election results!!!!! Whoo Hoo!

I think John McCain's concession speech was very eloquent. I'm hopeful Obama can bring this country together again.

Tara said...

I didn't stay up for the whole thing, but I wish I had. It was wonderful news to wake up to, though!

DJSassafrass said...

It was the weirdest feeling...dare I call it hope? The fireworks were around us too--it's so crazy/awesome that FINALLY an election can get this kind of response from people. Exciting!

laura b. said...

This does feel like a turning point for our country. I don't remember ever feeling this excited over a Presidential election. Woo hoo!
I bet your mom is celebrating too :-)

dmarks said...

If not for the election, Coadster looks like she is participating in a Pepsi promotion.

Is your mom celebrating in Machu Pichu?

booda baby said...

I think I was just as excited about the huge crowd in Grant Park as Obama's win. (I kind of miss Chicago politics. ALWAYS a good party.)

fringes said...

My only word left is: yay.

Churlita said...

Rel,

Exactly. I've heard Obama is planning on starting today. He doesn't seem to be afraid of work.

Mr Atrocity,

I was nervous until McCain conceded and then I was better than golden.

Oliver,

any anti-REagan is good, as far as I'm concerned.

Mrs,

I wouldn't mind a beer right now. Too bad I'm at work.

Minyo,

ME too. There was no line at all.

Tara,

I'm so exhausted right now. i kind of wish I'd gone to bed at a decent hour and read about it later. Only kinda though.

DJ,

I don't know if I've ever been this excited about an election before.

lauraB.,

I'm sure she is, at the afterlife party.

Dmarks,

Which is strange because she's more partial to Coke products.

Booda Baby,

I feel that same way about Chicago sports too. Chicagoans really know how to party.

Fringes,

That's a good one to have left.

Poptart said...

I was totally there. I thought of you and the girls, actually. There were a lot of kids their age with their parents, and I think you all woulda dug it totally. The cool thing was just ALL the people, everyone, was happy, even cops, everyone. There wasn't even one of those downer crazy people - EVERYONE was just bursting with mellow-to-exhuberant joy. Eye contact all over the place. Hugging, laughing, crying. It was awesome.