Wednesday, April 20, 2022

So, I'll Continue to Continue to Pretend, My Life Will Never End, And Flowers Never Bend With the Rainfall

Every year I think I'm going to be better about planning my gardens. I lie to myself that I'll pay more attention to when I should start my seedlings, I will research plants more, and write down all of the plants I want to get, and maybe get all crazy and actually diagram where my perennials will come up, so I don't accidentally dig them up, thinking they're some kind of weeds. Sigh. I haven't done any of that yet. Already this year, I forgot when I planted my seedlings last year (too early), thought I had waited a few weeks later, and then realized I planted them almost to the day, the exact time I did last year. Double sigh.

So, all of my seedlings are ready to be planted right now, but with as cool as this Spring has been, I'm sure I have a month before I can get the warm weather seedlings in the ground outside. I bet I'll have to dig down a mile to keep my leggy tomatoes from flopping right over. Of course, NEXT year I'll be better about when I plant my seedlings (much later).

I did remember to keep a fence around my seedlings, since a certain Gus who thinks spinach and lettuce are delicious would wreak havoc upon them all.  This year I planted two different kinds of tomatoes (Brandy Wine and Beefsteak), Genovese Basil, kale, Mexican Torch Sunflowers, some leaf lettuce, and those little yellow flowers that are called Billy Ball Craspedia. I took a vacation day last week when it was warmer and planted broccoli, kale, and spinach outside. This weekend I plan on planting Sugar snap peas, beets, leeks, more lettuce, and arugula. It makes me so happy to play in the dirt now, and then get to eat all the organic stuff in a month or two. I also love being able to give away extra veggies and flowers to friends. Speaking of which, let me know if you want to come over and pick up some kale seedlings.

Every year without fail, some woman I don't know because she never introduces herself, walks by my front yard garden, tsks and says, "I admire your optimism..." And she walks away as I'm saying, 

"I'm only planting Spring stuff this early that can handle a frost, BITCH!" Actually, I leave the BITCH part out, because I'm neighborly like that. I'm just hoping she knows it's implied. Why does someone need to walk past my house every year and judge my gardening? Especially when there are so, so, so, many other REAL things she could be judging me on.


 Anyway, this year I am going to probably bore you with my gardening posts because I really do want to be better about remembering which flowers and veggie plants I want to buy at the best times, and not dig up perennials that I forgot I planted, and have my yard look even more extra. And this time I REALLY mean it...

2 comments:

Mnmom said...

Yeah so lazy (((eyeroll))). We have completely failed as gardeners. Well actually our lack of good sunlight failed.

Churls said...

I understand that. The only reason I have a garden is because the two Ash Trees in my front yard got diseased and the city cut them down. It's hard to garden without sunlight.