Monday, May 03, 2021

Oh, The Merry Month of May, The Merry Month of May, So Frolic, So Gay

It's Spring in Iowa, Mutha F*ckas! Which means morels. Apparently, it was a bad year for our fungus friends. It was too dry, and there weren't too many of them, but luckily for us, we have friends who have some land out in the country where they found a whole bunch and sold us half a pound. People must forget that morels aren't around for very long, because for two weeks after I posted something on Facebook saying I had them, people were asking me if I could give them some. No. Derrrrr. They were delicious, though.
 

Spring in Iowa also means VERY windy bike rides. This Saturday was insane. It was so windy that I couldn't stand up on my bike and pedal uphills, or I would have been blown off the road. The way home we had the wind at our backs, and barely had to pedal. I'm still not sure if that made up for the hell of the headwind on the way out, though.

 The other thing about the ride was that there are TONS of animals all out and frolicking around. I had no idea how often I told every animal we rode past how much I loved them until John started GoPro videoing our rides. I watch the videos later and cringe a little when I hear myself express my feelings to each cow and pig and chicken and goat and sheep and alpaca...And you get it. I love a lot of animals.

Mother's Day is coming up next weekend, but my girls asked if they could celebrate it with me yesterday instead. They are fully vaccinated now, and so is their grandmother, so they finally get to see her on Mother's Day. She is in her 90's, and has dementia, so it could be their last one with her.


So, they gave me that lovely yard peacock as my gift and took John and I out to dinner at the Kalona Brewing Company. It was so nice, and Coadster's boyfriend went to find the waitress and order more beer for us, but he was sneaky and also paid the check. He's a really nice guy.


The lilacs bloomed this weekend. Like morels, they don't last long, so I try to huff them as much as I can, while they're here.



 The cats love Spring because it's the return of porch season. Gus would live out on the porch on his human dad's lap, and be happy until the end of his days.

I hope your Spring has sprung, and you found illusive mushrooms (whatever kind you fancy), and that the winds don't blow too hard for you.


No comments: