Wednesday, November 04, 2020

And Now Democracy is Ragtime on the Corner, Hoping for Some Rain

Well, kids. It looks like it's going to be bumpy ride this week. I am saddened that it's even this close. That this many Americans could vote for such a horrible, narcissistic toddler. He showed what kind of a selfish, bad man he was these last four years, and THAT many people still voted for him. It's so bizarre.

 

A few weeks ago, I bought my first laptop in my life. I still have my 11 year old desk top, but I wanted something I could lug around with me and write on the back porch, or upstairs in my dormer room. So, because I am old, I bought a heavy laptop with a 17 inch screen, and a DVD player in case we lose our internet for almost 2 weeks again and I am forced to watch the strange combination of movies I have on DVD (we're talkin' Deadpool, I Love Lucy and Mary Tyler Moore episodes, Marvel comic movies, and the WORST romcoms you've ever watched) . I also got a mouse with my laptop because apparently, I will never be comfortable using the little thingy you have to move with your fingers. I have tried and I think it took me an hour and half to scroll down a page before.

Anyway, I was downtown on a Saturday morning, and because it's right across the street from our fine university, it is much like a ghost town before 10 o'clock on a weekend. So, I thought I'd check out the new Target that just opened a couple of months ago, and has had a line out the door of it almost every time I passed.

It's an adorable little store with mostly grocery items, a few clothing items, electronics, and home/dorm goods. I picked up an extra power strip, a super soft fleece blanket that I thought the cats would love, but Heidi defiantly refuses to sleep on. She will form herself onto a pillow, or a folded blanket or sheet before she would deign to allow her precious fur to touch that heinous, soft, plush, cozy, fleece blanket. WHATever. Most importantly, I bought some bicycle book ends. They are perfection....Well, if you consider cheap, faux wood and some kind of weak-ass metal in the shape of a bicycle perfection.

Originally, I was thinking I would get it all ready like a cozy lair for Winter, but after this election and the pandemic that seems to only be getting worse, it may just have to be my panic room.

Also, the book in the picture above is AH-MAZING. I had never read it before, but it hit me hard, almost like when I read "Rebecca", by Daphne Du Maurier. It is long, but there is so much going on and so much treachery to be scandalized by, that you (meaning me) could happily read that story forever.

Oh, yeah. I forgot that I also bought some more white lights to lazily drape over whatever crap I can find in my room. You know how weird I am about making rooms into little sanctuary spaces, with lots of different colors, and funky furniture, and ambiance lighting.


 Gus seems to appreciate my new and improved dormer/sanctuary/lair/panic room too. He has just discovered the fake fireplace and he thinks it's the best kind of TV, since the universe invented the washing machine. 

I am still hoping for the best in this election, but as you can see, I'm preparing for the worst. It could be a loooooooonnnnngggg Winter.

No comments: