Monday, July 27, 2020

We Gon' Party Like it's Yo Birthday



On July 16th, I turned 55. Fifty-five?! Holy cow. I never thought I'd live this long. I'm glad I have and I hope to live for many more years, but I don't take it for granted.

I do love being this age. I know things will get tougher the older I get, but right now, I feel like I'm in the sweet spot. I'm still pretty good physically, except for my stupid migraines, my brain is working as well as it ever has, and I've done tons of work trying to fix my self-esteem, and my emotional maturity. I am in a healthy marriage to the love of my life, I'm not rich, but I can pay my bills and save a little money, my daughters are adults, so I'm not spending all of my time trying to raise them, I have a cute little house with a beautiful garden, a job I like just fine, and more cats than I can handle. I consider myself one lucky bit@h.


John had to take his mom to a doctor's appointment, so I started my day with some much cherished alone time reading books and drinking tea on my porch, and then putzing around in the garden. It was perfect.


After John got back from his mom's appointment, we went for a bike ride to Sutliff Bridge. We met our friend Burne along the way.


The weather was unseasonably nice. It was about 82 degrees with almost no humidity. That almost never happens in the middle of Summer in Iowa.


We headed to Big Grove in Solon after our ride to Sutliff Bridge. I had veggie chorizo and potato tacos and a MIllstream rootbeer for lunch. I was in heaven.

Just before we left, we were interviewed by some reporters about a bike trail that was recently finished. Then we rode home and relaxed a little before dinner.


Part of that relaxing included opening gifts. John got me some great things. He got me a new computer and saddle for my bikes, a puzzle where we're actually in the photo, some cold weather wool undershirts, some alien socks, an Atlas Obscura, and a t-shirt that says "The Book Was Better (it's how I feel about most things anyway). Oh, he also got me a boot brush for cleaning shoes off before you go into the house. It was a bit of a POINTED gift, since I come into the house with dirty feet more often than not. Poor John.


Coadster came over for dinner and we ordered the fried chicken dinner from Bluebird Diner. They only serve it on Thursdays and you have to pre-order it, but if you like fried chicken, you should definitely get it. It came with mashed potatoes and gravy and biscuits, and coleslaw and whipped butter.




Coadster also did a recreation of the Lion King with Gus playing baby Simba's part. He was adorable.

After we ate and Coadster went home, we walked a few blocks to Shakespeare's and sat outside and had a beer. It was the first time since 2014 that we were home on my birthday, and besides the pandemic, it was a lovely, lovely day.

Here's to next year's birthday being the one we were supposed to have this year. We were going to be in Santa Fe, New Mexico getting ready to ride bikes to Las Cruces. Everyone wear your masks and wash your hands, so that vacations can be a possibility for all of us soon.



No comments: