Thursday, October 03, 2019

Made of Wet Boots and Rain and Shiny Black Ravens on Chimney Smoke Lanes.


Well, kids. It's October already and I haven't really written a ton on the blog lately.


I am a Summer person. It makes me nervous when it starts getting cooler outside and darker earlier. I do like Halloween, though. So, I'll have that to get excited about.


I had a stupid migraine for pretty much all of September. I'd take meds and it would go away for 24 hours and come right back the minute the meds wore off.

It got me down, and I was so dizzy and in pain from the migraine, that I couldn't even run or ride my bike much, which is normally how I deal with being down. I'm happy to say that I did just go an entire week without having a migraine or taking meds. Woo hoo! I had a very light one the last couple of days, but nothing like it was last month. I'll keep my fingers and my eyes and my legs crossed that things stay that way.


Since I was having trouble getting excited about things through the fog of my brain pain, I bought myself a pretty bike.

I know it's stupid. John keeps telling me that a new bike won't make me faster, and I was raised to know that consumerism doesn't help anything, but I wanted a pretty bike, dammit! A few years ago, I said I wouldn't buy anything (except our house) that I had to borrow money for. I could actually afford this, and I got it and I'm riding it and it's fun and pretty and I'm not at all faster, but that wasn't the point. The point is that I wanted something to get excited about, and not having a migraine and then having a new bike is doing that for me. As always, I'll take what I can get...


Two weeks ago we went to Madison, Wisconsin for a bike race, and it was really fun.


Saturday was John's 55th birthday. His favorite way to celebrate anything is to race his bike. He had three full days of bike racing, plus hanging out with friends and my family (sorry John) and watching the pros race their bikes. He said it was a great birthday weekend for him.


 The next day was Stinky's 26th birthday. Holy cow! But my kids are getting older. It's a damn good thing that I'm not.

We celebrated her birthday the next day with dinner and drinks and cheesecake and free beignets. It was a lovely evening,


John caught a cold, so we decided not to go to Des Moines and race last weekend. Instead we did a slow gravel ride to our friends rescue farm where they had a lovely party and I got to meet their Vietnamese pot bellied piglets. They were so adorable.


So, now we're back up to speed. It's October, and it's been raining too much, but I'm hoping my migraines are calming down and even though I'm not in great shape, I want to try and "race" again. We'll see how that goes...

And for all the rest of you? I hope you love Fall and that you aren't in any pain and that you have a million things to be excited about.

No comments: