Friday, December 28, 2018

Don't Be Scared. I've Done This Before. Show Me Your Teeth.


I hope you all had a great holiday weekend. Mine was really good. I didn't plan it to start out all that wonderfully, though. I unthinkingly scheduled a dentist appointment the Friday afternoon that was my last day before a four day weekend. I didn't think about what day that was, I was just happy that I got an appointment so late in the day, and then later when they asked me to confirm my appointment, I figured I should just keep it, or I would start pushing back my dentists further and further, until I didn't go at all.

I hate the dentist. I don't like people sticking their hands in my mouth, I don't like people putting me in pain, and I especially don't like PAYING someone to put me in pain. When I was younger and didn't have insurance, I went seven years once without going to the dentist. Of course, the older I get, the more I wish I had taken better care of my teeth.

This check-up wasn't so bad, however. Both the dentist and the hygienist commented about how clean my mouth was. If you've ever met me and know how much I swear, you are probably just as surprised about that as I was.

When I go to appointments now, I want to do that thing that people do when reading fortune cookies. You know, "You are a strong person with many charms...In bed". But instead of saying "in bed", I, in my head think "for someone in their fifties". So, when the hygienist told me that my teeth were a great color...(for someone in their fifties, I thought). Or my gums were so healthy and pink...(for someone in their fifties, I added).

I guess the whole gist of this post is that my holidays started with a dentist appointment that didn't go too badly...For someone in their fifties.

No comments: