Wednesday, December 07, 2016

It's Winter. Winter in America


This is what Archie looked like exactly 6 years ago. his head was too big for his body, and now his body's too big for his head.
 I woke in a mood this morning. It was very cold for the first time all year and everything seemed way too overwhelming to me. So, I didn't go running before work, and I didn't ride my bike to work. I just drove and tried hard to be nice to other people, because that makes me feel better in general. So, I let some guy in, who was trying to pull out of a parking lot into a line of traffic and I held the door open for a woman on my way out of the parking garage. I know it's not much, but I hope it at least made their mornings a little better. It's supposed to be even colder tomorrow, so I just need to buck-up and see how I deal with it then.

So, because I'm a lame-ass today, here is a post from on this day seven years ago:


My house was built in 1950. It's full of weird drawers, vents, oddly shaped closets and I just found the coolest skeleton key in one of the built-in drawers that has sent my mind running with all kinds of spooky scenarios about what it could be used for. (to open the gates of hell, perhaps?) On Sunday night, my friend G. came over and we played this game where we wandered around the house and tried to figure out what the hell certain things were supposed to be used for. I really love that about my place. I'm like that with people too. I appreciate the visible signs of aging, scars and especially, laugh lines on faces. Every line tells a story and it's almost always interesting.

There was one huge cupboard/closet thing in particular that I couldn't figure out what to do with. It has pretty thin and not very strong shelves and then in the door there are those metal holders that you find in refrigerators. Most of the people I showed it to, thought it was either another pantry or that those door holders might be for cleaning supplies. Originally, I thought I might use it to store all of my tons of CD's and books, but then I had to be realistic and admit that the shelves wouldn't be strong enough to hold that much weight. While I was working on unpacking boxes, I came across my art supplies. That closet would be perfect to hold all of our paints, fabric dyes, brushes, clay, inks, sponges and handmade paper. I love having a special place for all of that stuff. Now, I just have to figure out where to put all my books and CD's....

p.s. I realize that I ended an inordinate amount of sentences with prepositions in this post, but I'm in a mood to be grammatically defiant tonight.

No comments: