Thursday, May 07, 2015

Caught by the Rain and Blinded by the Lightning.

The cows guarding their food source.

It's been raining here a lot this week. I feel like I've been slipping in workouts between rain drops...Or raging thunderstorms. Either one.

Yesterday it was supposed to storm after 4. So, I took a half day off to go on a "fun" bike ride. I love to go on bike adventures by myself.


I knew there was a South wind, but I didn't realize how hard it was blowing. I headed to the town of Lone Tree, where John's dad's family is from. It's a very small farming town. I mapped out the route ahead of time and knew that it would be a 41.1 mile route. Perfect for the time I had.

Once I got out of town and away from structures that might block it, I realized just how strong the winds were. They were killing me going South, and then the crosswinds were jerking me around so much, I cringed every time a semi passed me, because the back draft pulled me so hard.

Tank girl.
I finally made it to Lone Tree and decided to sit on the big Army tank at the town park and eat a Cliff bar, drink some water and watch the cars go by, while I rested up for the ride home.

The ride home was lovely with that strong tailwind. I turned West on 520 and saw it. That storm that was expected was looming in the distance. Dark clouds and those showers you can see coming from the sky and the hot air was battling the sudden cooler air. Crap! I hightailed it back home. I got from Lone Tree to Iowa City in less than 40 minutes. It's amazing what fear and a good tailwind can do for your speed...

No comments: