Sunday, February 27, 2022

April, Come She Will, When Streams are Ripe and Filled Wtih Rain

I don't have a lot of pictures to add to this post, so you all get to see Gus again. Hi, Gus!

 Oh, kids. It's that weird time of year. You know, the ass-end of Winter, where it feels like warm temps will never come, and then we got our first fake Spring last weekend. If you have ever lived in the Midwest, you'll know that a fake Spring is when it all the sudden warms up, sometimes 50 degrees in about a day. Everyone goes crazy and gets outside, and the college kids who normally wear flip flops on the coldest days of Winter, are practically wearing swimsuits. It feels like it's finally done being cold and snowing. Then a day later there's some weird rain that turns into ice, and then into snow, and the temperature drops another 50 or 60 degrees, and everyone cries.

Well, this week looks like it will be our second fake Spring, for maybe an entire week!!!!!!!!!! I can't tell you how excited I am about it...Or maybe those 500 exclamation points just did. 

I am trying to be better about so many things right now. I'm trying to be a kinder person, who doesn't get annoyed so easily. Wish me luck with that one! I'm also trying to eat less food, and better food. I'm trying not to eat in between meals and be more mindful when I do eat, instead of devouring my food, barely tasting it, possibly biting my cheek, and then not giving myself a chance to see if I'm starting to get full, before I serve myself up some more. 

We''ll see how that goes. Also, I'm trying to drink less alcohol. I've never been a big drinker, The migraines have always helped me remember why I can't drink more than a beer or two at a time, but I can get into this habit of just having a beer after work, just one, but if I drink a beer everyday, that's seven drinks a week, and that starts to add  up. Now, I'm cutting way back. I'll still have a drink here or there, but I hopefully won't get in that bad habit of drinking a beer most days of the week. I'm not sure if cutting down will help or hurt my other goal of being a kinder (more kind?) person. I guess poor John will let me know.

The other thing I'm trying to do is work-out more. For most of my adult life, I ran six miles almost every day. Now, with this stupid perimenopause, my body isn't letting me run like it used to. I'm still trying to run, but a lot of times, I can walk a little, run a little, walk a little more, and so on. ANNNNNDDD, I can only do that for about two miles. I'm still hoping that the worst of this will go away once I'm actually in menopause. I finally figured out my almost constant migraine situation last Fall, and that has helped me be able to run, and ride, and cross country ski, and stuff more often this year. Thank the lard! With the first fake Spring a week ago, I got all motivated and did my little run/walk thing four times that week, I also rode my bike on the road, outside, for the first time this year, and weirdest of all...I swam laps for the first time in two years last Saturday. It felt strange to actually work my upper body for a change. We rode our bikes outside today too. Since I'm not in the best shape of my life, we just rode down Sand Road, which is almost completely flat. That's my kind of road!

So, tomorrow starts our second fake Spring of 2022. I am all goofy and hopeful at the prospect, but it will be a few months yet before I put away my Winter things, It's snowed her in May before. I'm just going to sit around drinking many glasses of water, and not drinking very many alcoholic beverages, or eating many delicious snacks. Do you think I'll get used to it and not crave cookies and ice cream any more? If you think I still will, feel free to lie to me. Like I always say, I'm a sucker for false hope.

No comments: