Thursday, May 23, 2019

Talkin' About That Little Lady.



Hey! Whoa! It's almost the end of April, and I still haven't done my traveling through books post for April. Ready? Here it goes:

I read seven books in April.

1.) The first book I read was "A Gambler's Anatomy", by Jonathan Lethem. It was entertaining enough and took me to Berlin, Singapore and Berkeley. It was about a guy who played backgammon professionally and had to have a procedure to remove a tumor that supposedly took away his psychic abilities. There's a whole bunch of other stuff that happens and some weird double dealing. It wasn't always the best trip, but it kept me intrigued.

2.) Next I read "Possession" by A. S. Byatt. I loved this book. It took me to England in the late 80's, but also during the Victorian era. It is about a literary scholar who discovers a letter in an old book. The letter gives him new information about his favorite poet and leads him on a chase to dig up more information to confirm his suspicions. It is a love story, and detective novel,complete with seances. It was a very looong journey, but definitely worth the trip.

I then read "My Absolute Darling" by Gabriel Talent. I was interested to read it because it took place in Mendocino County California, a little South of where I used to live in the mid-eighties. It was a hard trip to take. It dealt with the physical and sexual abuse of a young girl by her father. I had some problems with the writing too, but it is the author's first novel, so I'll give him a break on that.


4.) Book number four in April was "Swing Time" by Zadie Smith. It started in 1982 in London and it was about two girls who meet in a dance class. They are both from low income homes, but their family situations are completely different. It is about what happens to them as they get older. It took me to London, Africa and New York City. I think I would have liked it better had the main character had some real hobbies or friends as an adult.

5.) The fifth book I read was Henry James' "Portrait of a Lady". I had never read it before. I know some people find it boring and depressing, but I really liked it. It was about a self-possessed woman who came into some money, and was deceived into marrying a horrible man who wanted her for her fortune. It took me to England and France and Italy and I got to meet all kinds of interesting people through it.


6.) To follow "Portrait of a Lady", I read "Mrs Osmond", by John Banville. It was not, like you might think, about Donnie and Marie's mom, but rather a sequel to"Portrait of a Lady" written in 2017. It took place where the original novel left off. I liked that it answered questions, since Henry James left so many things up in the air. It was kind of dumb of me to read it right after "P O A L", because it went back and told the back story for most people reading it after having read "Portrait of a Lady" a long time ago, or not at all.

7.) My final book trip in April was "The Power" by Naomi Alderman. It took place all over the world, but in the future. A future where women suddenly had the power to shock or electrocute people. I really liked it. It was a look at power and how it corrupts, no matter what your gender.

Now that we're heading into Summer, I am much looser about my reading restrictions. I'll read whatever sounds entertaining or whatever I'm in the mood for. I am all ready for it to warm up, so I can lie in my hammock and get lost in a great story...Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

No comments: