Thursday, June 30, 2016

No Need to be Coy, Roy


This photo has nothing to do with my post. I just want to show off my garden (that badly needs to be weeded) that I finally put the disco ball and rain gauge in.

So, the other day I told you all that I'd write about the weird incident that occurred at our house on Saturday night. It was probably around 6:30'ish and we were watching the Sopranos. Well, I was watching it and John was nodding off. I stood up for a minute right at the same time I heard a knock on the front door. Normally, I run to my bedroom when I hear someone knock on my door and peek around and see that I don't know them and if I don't I hide in my bedroom until they leave. TOTALLY sane of me, right? As I've said before, I hate people to come to my house and invade my privacy and ask me for something, whether it be their religion, or actual items or cash. You're wasting my time. You should be giving ME money. Anyway, I was standing right in front of our front door and the guy saw me, so I felt obligated to answer. Damn it!

I said, "Hello?" and the guy answered, "All your neighbors were telling me that you like to take in little, Black orphans..." "WHAT?" I asked in my head and out loud and just at that moment. Jaxson ran out the door and started racing all over my front lawn, careening dangerously toward the street. I ran out and tried to get the puppy to come to me, so I could grab him and get him in the house. All the while, the guy is telling me what he thinks I should do to get the puppy and I was so obviously annoyed and finally stopped running around like a crazy woman to ask, "Okay. What is it you want?" Of the guy.

He answered by saying, "I'm just trying to raise money for underprivileged Black kids, like myself and I was hoping you could donate some cash...."

"I'm sorry. I don't have any money at all right now." He did leave right away. I'm sure I scared the hell out of him, and I just told Jaxson, "Goodbye! I'm going in the house now. I'll see you later!" and I'll be damned if that silly puppy didn't follow me in the house, because he didn't want to miss out on anything or be left alone.

So, first of all, why would that guy start out saying something so weird and untrue to put me on edge, if he wanted money from me? Was he trying to make me worry about what my neighbors think? Was he trying to be funny or coy? Or was he just uncomfortable about going door to door asking for money? I have no idea, but I wanted to tell him that approaching people's houses and saying bizarre sh*t is no way to get money from them.

I guess the main thing I learned from this experience is that I've been right all along. No good can come from answering the knock of a stranger. Misanthropes unite...Or not.


2 comments:

NoRegrets said...

How do you know it's a stranger?

Churls said...

I had never met the man before, so he was a stranger to me.